Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> Tech / Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vorkronor
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been plaqued by bad luck since I built my HTPC Sad
The configuration is:
    Asus A7N8X-VM 400
    AMD Sempron 2300+
    256MB DDR 333
    Leadtek WinFast PVR 2000 (TV tuner)
    a generic 300W PSU
    a mini tower/desktop case

First I had an old WD 20GB / 5400rpm drive, that died within a few days after installation Confused . S.M.A.R.T. message at POST: "Status BAD, Replace". This drive was used occasionally and showed no signs of iminent failure before it's demise.

I bought a brand new Samsung Spinpoint P (160GB 2MB cache) as a replacement drive. Everything went smoothly first, but after two weeks the drive got bad. Sad
First sign of the problems was a black screen at boot time displaying "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". After rebooting the computer eventually got to desktop, but took about 30 minutes to do so Crying or Very sad . Usually it took about 30 seconds.

The drive was RMA'd yesterday after if refused to format a new partition (tried to reinstall the OS, but after 15 minutes, the 64GB main NTFS partition format was still at 0% complete).

The PC case is an Eurocase MS32 used as a desktop (the HDD is mounted vertically) situated in [url=http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=32419&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*10174]this TV table[/url] and it gets moved quite often, but only when the PC is shut down.

I definitely don't want a hard drive failure to happen again, so if any one knows if the two events could be linked, or you have any experience like this - please help and share your thoughts.

thanx

desperately yours
Vorkronor
mrvoland
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your new HDD is bad...
try to replace with new
i use Western Digital and i dont have any problems
dellsmaith
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i restart my computer it gives a problem "A disk read error occured press Ctrl+Alt+del to restart " and after i press Ctrl+Alt+del it works fine. But this is the same problem i always have during the windows startup. I have installed the fresh copy of windows Xp twice but did not get the solution. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> Tech / Troubleshooting All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: