Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Call of Duty 2 server boycott? [20288]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Call of Duty 2 server boycott? [20288] Reply with quote

It looks like

the Call of Duty 2 community is very pissed off with the developer - Infinity Ward and are planning a boycott by "mass server shutdowns of all
Call of Duty games at a time of our choosing" (thanks Alistair Russell)

The statement should include the following:
1. When will you

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more power to the community Smile
jippo
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that !
Jelster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right. I wish I had a server running now just so I could close it down. Smile

I hope they stick with it and pull it off, I'd be surprised if it generates any more than a press release from Activision though.

End of the day IW can only do what they can do and they've proven in the past that they are not capable of punching out a stream of fast patches. Thats when they weren't supporting an X360 release (did they actually develope the x360 version?).
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no problems playing here. Great fun.. Cool Didn't even know there was a petition going on actually on until I just read it here. Rolling Eyes
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Jelster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if you're happy playing what is essentially CoD V1.00 with new graphics IW have obviously found their market. Personally I'd say you're in denial after pumping up on the game so much.

I ran a CoD 1 server and didn't appreciate the constant need to go to spec and watch players suspected of cheating. When punkbuster arrived those occasions we're greatly reduced.

When I played CoD 1 I got used to the weapon tweaks, balancing, nurfing introduced with every single patch. Now I'll have to do that all over again.

When I got CoD:UO I thought great, here's all the stuff they said they was going to patch into CoD when it first came out. I forgave them charging me for it because it was pretty damn fun. Now I'll be waiting on the announcement for the expansion pack.

To release a sequel and not learn from your past mistakes (the expansion pack, I'll give, is debatable) is a disgusting abuse of trust. IW didn't make changes people have taken exception too, they just pulled V1 CoD scripts and tagged them onto the new <cough> engine.

I hope this gets a lot of press and forces IW to work for their money or watch their CoD franchise sink like MOH did.
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And someone out here claimed Valve provided zero support for consumers...
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally never seen such an uproar in a community before, I hope it forces IW to really pull their finger out.
The Singleplayer is great anyways though... still sticking with F.E.A.R. and Civ4 for my multiplayer fix!
nb411
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve is awesome. I love Valve.
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve brought me days of joy with HL1 and 2, they'll bring me even more days of joy in the future. I wish I could hug and thank every emploee in Valve Smile
I like COD1 and 2, not to the same degree as HL or FEAR or else, but thank you IW for them too. Great games! Still, the lack of support is a strange move.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I am VERY MUCH enjoying COD 2. Thank you. I don't know what cheats people are talking about cuz I always manage 4-1 ratio's. I think people just can't play a real shooter.

Props are like what barbies are for girls. HL2 doesn't have anything else. CS as usual is all HL2 without CS HL2 is nothing. I know why hl2 is addictive, it's got a rocket, so it can make the worst player a better player. Must be the attraction for these people. Again, girly weapon.. Tch tch tch.
Jelster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do cheats existing for CoD2 relate to your ratio? The point was the lack of AC encourages people to try and use cheats. The lack of AC means someone with rcon needs to spec players suspected of cheating, suspicions being higher when there isn't anticheat. Sorry but I'd rather be playing the game than droping to spec for 5-10 minutes to see if someone is cheating.

Not quite sure what your point is in the second paragraph. I think its an attempt to say anyone who disagrees with you is a girl (subconcious admission?). People probably like CS:S because erm, A LOT of people played CS. I somehow don't think having a rocket gun is top on their list of reasons to like a game.

Fact is IW have said squat about updates and thats hardly accecptable when there are problems that need to be addressed. Valve have at least a channel to update their customers even if they let them down on occasion.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx, you always have to come from the perspective of an overly gifted fps player? Razz
IRONMAN
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there much cheating in CoD2? You bet there is. Plenty of it. Way too much of it. The lack of anti-cheater technology has caused the game to become inundated with cheaters in record time. The game has been out a month, and already it's swamped with cheaters. Consequently, I do not bother playing CoD2 anymore, and will not unless some type of AC technology is added. I won't buy the mission pack either, unless it includes AC out of the box.

This is a lesson to all of us, and proof of something that I have been hawking about for years:

Games are full of cheater sissies. If you do not do something to stop them, the game will become undesirable for playing.

It is indeed a filthy misuse of customers' trust to make a game with cramped maps unworthy of much multiplayer fun, then to EXPECT them to "repurchase" the game in the form of a mission pack in order to have anti-cheater technology, and to have sensible multiplayer which includes gametypes other than CTF or the old, tired, and nowadays worthless DM or TDM. Why asnyone plays DM or TDM nowadays is beyond understanding. Why it is even included in games anymore is even less understandable. Perhaps it indicates a desire of game makers to make a game as cheaply as possible and as fast of a buck as possible, at our expense.

But then to push the knife in deeper, they leave out anti-cheater protection. In my mind, this is nothing more than extortion. They left out AC technology as a selling point for the mission pack. This is an example of truly unethical business practices. Can you imagine a visit to a car dealership under such practices:

"Sir, did you want your new car to have seats and a steering wheel? If so, you need to buy the Sports Package to get them. It's price is only equal to the car itself. What a deal eh!"

I will, and I suggest that others from now forward check to see if the game they are considering buying includes AC technology right out of the box. If it does not, do not buy it. Naturally, many games do not include it, but this sends a powerful message to unscrupulous game makers: That we do not want your games if you do not make a serious effort to keep it playable so that we get our money's worth from your product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: