Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1 [20820]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1 [20820] Reply with quote

Mozilla has released
version 1.5.0.1 of Firefox, fixing several security issues and bugs as outlined in
the release notes. The one for Win32 can be downloaded from the official
FTP (local US mirror ~ 5.2MB), and those for other languages and OS - from
here. 312415 - Selected images (from a selection

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I was devoted to IE, approx a month ago I started using Firefox. There's a big difference between IE and Firefox. SPYWARE.

Firefox allows various spyware and it proven using Spybot Search and Destroy. It's always attached to Firefox. IE however always clean. I have been using IE and Firefox and watching closely. I run Googlebar and a Adblock extension in Firefox and neither prevent spyware from getting in.

I scanned yesterday, come to GGMania and I have spyware crap almost right away. Of course this site here is pretty bad for spyware..some of those ads lead you to pretty nasty places..
yhancik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem...

i've been using firefox since it was still called Phoenix (more than 3 years ago) and i never ever had any spyware (only some suspicious cookies coming from... IE...)
No.21
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that it is "SPYWARE" and not ADWARE?
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both. and some bad enough requiring a reboot just to be fully removed. i use Spybot S&D almost every 2 days. of course i frequent crack sites and stuff and they got even nastier ads. using IE i was always clean, cookies included. today, just a few hours of firefox and i got tracking cookies. i'll get a screen soon, i haven't really been on the net much the last few days.

i didnt mean or intend to put down ggmania cuz i like this site. the problem i have is a barely clothed woman popping up on my screen viewing a screenshot of a game. this doesn't look good when you work in a open concept office with lots of both sexes around and high ups that are always on the floor. i'm not talking internet support type job. so i need something to hide that stuff. nobody has a problem with the content of ggmania at work because they know i come to it keep up on the news. i just meant it's nasty stuff like ggmania that seems to hit firefox for "me".

i like firefox because IE doesn't and still doesn't support xHTML and i require that support. on IE some sites can appear corrupted but with Firefox appear perfect.

if i do upgrade to 7 it would just be for cosmetic fun and the tabbed browsing (if it works as good as firefox)

like i said, it's just the adware and spyware that firefox loses on...just now i have tracking cookies. i never ever had that when IE 6 came out, if I did it was nasty spyware

if u know some good firefox extensions tell me, i'll try them out.

lucas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id really love to see an example of a site that installs adware/spyware via firefox without user interaction. ive seen dozens of examples for IE (though you claim you've never seen any), but the worst ive seen happen in firefox is sites that have found ways around the pop-up blocking. heck, when installing any extention a dialog pops up telling you exactly what your doing and forces you to look at it for a few seconds before you can click ok; im honestly curious to see how they'd manage to get spyware past that.

oh, and that screenshot shows no spyware or adware. a tracking cookie is an entirely different thing, and if you're really that paranoid you can always disallow cookies in the preferences (as im sure you had to do in IE to avoid them)

please oh please xxxx, prove for once you're not full of shit. show me a site that installs spy/adware via firefox, that requires a reboot to remove. its nice to see you've come to admit that IE isnt all the awesomeness you thought it was, but it would be nicer if you stopped trying to be a hardc0re MS fanboy and admit that all your trashtalk about firefox is nothing but hot air

oh, and for what its worth, i dont even use firefox so dont bother accusing me of being a ff fanboy
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucas wrote:
id really love to see an example of a site that installs adware/spyware via firefox without user interaction. ive seen dozens of examples for IE (though you claim you've never seen any), but the worst ive seen happen in firefox is sites that have found ways around the pop-up blocking. heck, when installing any extention a dialog pops up telling you exactly what your doing and forces you to look at it for a few seconds before you can click ok; im honestly curious to see how they'd manage to get spyware past that.

First off Lucas, you are a smacktard. I told you many times you are smacktard. No it doesn't prompt me for shit unless i actually download an extension. This morning, yesterday I cleared my adware and stuff that was in Firefox and this morning I came in and had Webhancer installed. Do you know what Webhancer is it's SPYWARE you stupid AHOLE.

lucas wrote:

oh, and that screenshot shows no spyware or adware. a tracking cookie is an entirely different thing, and if you're really that paranoid you can always disallow cookies in the preferences (as im sure you had to do in IE to avoid them)

I'm not going to block cookies you retard. You need cookies to save your preference you stupid dumbass. I don't block them in IE and I'm not going to block them in Firefox. If you don't believe my IE gets these cookies etc, I COULDNT GIVE A SHIT AHOLE. It happens to Firefox all the time. Oh well. Cookies don't do harm SPYWARE DOES.

lucas wrote:

please oh please xxxx, prove for once you're not full of shit. show me a site that installs spy/adware via firefox, that requires a reboot to remove. its nice to see you've come to admit that IE isnt all the awesomeness you thought it was, but it would be nicer if you stopped trying to be a hardc0re MS fanboy and admit that all your trashtalk about firefox is nothing but hot air

Well I keep calling you every swear word in the book but look at you, as dumb as a log and you still keep coming back. I already nuked the Webhancer from my disk courtesy of Spybot and I don't have to show you shit, I am showing the Firefox guys who are working on various OTHER spyware getting in through FIREFOX you DUMBASS. I doubt you even know how to use Spyware removal tools. I am not a hardcore MS fanboy you stupid dunce. Get a brain Lucas, you are still stupid.

lucas wrote:

oh, and for what its worth, i dont even use firefox so dont bother accusing me of being a ff fanboy

Well it figures, you are a smacktard and not very brilliant. Oh and Lucas, F U. I like Firefox and it's superior to IE in almost everyway, it figures you are so clued out you wouldn't know, that's why you are using IE. DUMBASS.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't happen or come up 'all' the time, but its the same or similar ad all the time, I will take shots as they happen but I can't really do it from work HX.

It pops up a 'sized' window and it's a chick on the beach with a bikini on. Ya seems not a big deal but it is. Bikini and fully clothed are two different things. When I was at my last job, I had to go to HR because someone complained I was looking at nudies. I showed them, it wasn't a nude girl but they said it was inappropriate going to such sites. I'm working at a new place now and the people here are cool, but I don't need a bad rep or take a chance. But anyhow, I will get you some shots.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far today, I've only had 2 tracking cookies which I don't get thru Internet Explorer. As well, I do get spyware here. Somehow, Webhancer gets on. I go to only my company page which has no advertising, www.btugamers.com that doesn't have advertising and your site. Depending on what browser I am using it's either IE or Firefox. I use Firefox to come to your site because it has tabbed browsing and most of the time a popup that get's thru IE/Google bar and through Firefox/Google bar and Adblock.

today I have only been to your site, btugamers and and my own company site. I have 2 cookies.

Avenue A and Mediaplex, this morning I cleared out Webhancer and these cookies which requires me to reboot and when I got to add/remove programs it's there basically every day. At home I have also had something I think called MySearch which Spybot claims to be Spyware and what it does is attaches itself somehow to Firefox. I had it once prior to 6.x of IE and it wreaked havoc on my browser.

Anyhow, when I get the girly one I will put it up for you. Today I haven't seen it which is STRANGE, since I see it daily and now that I brought it up I don't see it. Have you done something HX?? I even asked my wife who comes to your site too and she sees it all the time and strangely today she has not seen it either...If you haven't changed anything then I should see it soon.

I've had some responses back from Firefox and they said some extensions could have spyware in them and they are analysing the extension I used, which I got off their site for Spyware and if they are found they said they will remove them from their Extensions downloads. Actually the Firefox guys are REALLY nice and prompt.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well that explains why I haven't seen it. I wouldn't say it's 'horrible', lol, but when you are at work... ouch.
Jelster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx wrote:

<snip whiny ranting>
extension. This morning, yesterday I cleared my adware and stuff that was in Firefox and this morning I came in and had Webhancer installed. Do you know what Webhancer is it's SPYWARE you stupid AHOLE.

Installed would be the right word. Quick google shows its delivered as part of an installation package and not transmitted through the web.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trackware.webhancer.html

My guess is the worst you're seeing is either the cache holding the program downloaded but not installed or you have something running at startup which is reinstalling it.

Quote:

I'm not going to block cookies you retard. You need cookies to save your preference you stupid dumbass. I don't block them in IE and I'm not going <snip more abuse>

Wow you really like talking down to people to try and win an argument. All he says, and rightly, is that your picture only shows tracking cookies. Don't like them? tin foil hat causing scalp problems? Jeez switch off cookies. Need them for preferences? how about allowing cookies for authorised sites only. Its right there in the options!

Quote:

Webhancer from my disk courtesy of Spybot and I don't have to show you shit, I am showing the Firefox guys who are working on various OTHER spyware getting in through FIREFOX you DUMBASS. I doubt you even know

From that we gather you have actually no factual evidence to prove that Firefox allows the installation of spyware?

Quote:

Well it figures, you are a smacktard and not very brilliant. Oh and Lucas, F

lol. Thats so wrong on so many levels. This Christmas, when someone asks you what you want, please say "A Clue".
lucas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx wrote:
lucas wrote:

First off Lucas, you are a smacktard. I told you many times you are smacktard. No it doesn't prompt me for shit unless i actually download an extension. This morning, yesterday I cleared my adware and stuff that was in Firefox and this morning I came in and had Webhancer installed. Do you know what Webhancer is it's SPYWARE you stupid AHOLE.

wow, so your computer is infested with self perpetuating spyware and its firefox's fault why exactly?

xxxx wrote:
lucas wrote:

I'm not going to block cookies you retard. You need cookies to save your preference you stupid dumbass. I don't block them in IE and I'm not going to block them in Firefox. If you don't believe my IE gets these cookies etc, I COULDNT GIVE A SHIT AHOLE. It happens to Firefox all the time. Oh well. Cookies don't do harm SPYWARE DOES.

as already mentioned, firefox is advanced enough to offer cookie whitelists/blacklists so you can block/allow just whats you want.

xxxx wrote:
lucas wrote:

Well I keep calling you every swear word in the book but look at you, as dumb as a log and you still keep coming back. I already nuked the Webhancer from my disk courtesy of Spybot and I don't have to show you shit, I am showing the Firefox guys who are working on various OTHER spyware getting in through FIREFOX you DUMBASS. I doubt you even know how to use Spyware removal tools. I am not a hardcore MS fanboy you stupid dunce. Get a brain Lucas, you are still stupid.

i dont NEED spyware removal tools. there is no spyware for my desktop platform. windows is good for games and little more. i wouldnt take a tractor to the shops, i wouldnt use windows for day to day computing

xxxx wrote:
lucas wrote:

Well it figures, you are a smacktard and not very brilliant. Oh and Lucas, F U. I like Firefox and it's superior to IE in almost everyway, it figures you are so clued out you wouldn't know, that's why you are using IE. DUMBASS.

oh how times have changed. i clearly remember you explaining to me i was a smacktard for prefering firefox to IE. anyone who didnt use IE was apparently a fucktard. nowadays i dont use firefox much anymore, prefering a webkit based browser (passes acid2 css tests, btw). so anyway, go eat a dick you dumb piece of crap. if you had any sense you'd notice google returns no results of people complain of firefox installing Webhancer on their PCs. you've probably installed something thats hidden spyware via the sony rootkit software
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: