Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

PS3 Doesn't Start Next-Gen Console Era [22420]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: PS3 Doesn't Start Next-Gen Console Era [22420] Reply with quote

The outspoken

Mark Rein, VP of Epic Games, had quite a lot to say at the start of his London GDC talk.  According to Rein, "Sony says the next generation starts when they say so. I say, that’s bulls***. Gears of War is the first second-generation game for Xbox 360 and it looks very fine. You

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg who is this loser posting Portman pictures... hahahaha!!!! LOSER!!!!

Anyhow.. as far as I'm concerned on Mark Rein and Epic and Gears of War and PS3 is start of next gen and Marks comments. I fart in your general direction Mark... Oh, buy, Gears of War has 12!!! yes, 12 hours of play, not 10...wohoa.. Stop the press... Naturally he's gonna piss on PS3, his game is for Xbox360.. another pointless news article.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 hours because -like most console titles- they only allow specific save points. The result is when you 'die' you have to redo the level (generaly at the beginning where the save point is) If they didn't, then they would last a mere couple of hours or so before completion.
For eg, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior, console port =crap level design and crap save system =frustration

Simple excersise to make a game look longer.

PC games on the otherhand; Rome:TotalWar, CoH, Oblivion (off the top of my head) and millions of others allow the user to save anytime because they have more work put in to level design and more importantly -gameplay.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in cases where you have to get to point a or b for a save 'adds' to gameplay and challenge. But in some games, the save when you get here can really turn one off, as you read here and there a lot. I think in a lot of cases, giving a user the ability to save the game over and over again, defeats the purpose of the game. You literally remove the 'real' challenge in the game. Wasn't Farcry a game where you had to make it to point B before it saved?... can't recall but I remember it that way..

Ya console does the specific save points. Again, to me, it all depends on the title. I've yet to be pissed off cuz of savegames on a console...I am going to assume your 'last a mere couple of hours' was directed at this title in specific. But I've played many console games where I could save as I please and I played the title just as long as any crappy PC title. I'm not interested in Ut myself at all. Just same gabage spit out with better gfx. Their creative genius died as soon as they put vehicles in Ut. IMO.
v1m

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full twellllllllve hours?! Wooo, baby.

I'm so over buying pricey games for a few hours of play, that sweet time when you're figuring out shit and seeing what the game can do before it settles into repetition or abruptly ends.

It's rentals for me from here on in; sorry, Mr. 12 Hours, but not a penny for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: