Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Todd Hollenshead on piracy [23356]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Todd Hollenshead on piracy [23356] Reply with quote

This article on NextGen Generation recaps Todd Hollenshead's thoughts about the impact of piracy on the game industry. Pirates have stolen copies of his ors. They've used holes in Id's company firewall to download preview copies of software. A journalist once made a copy of Hexen II while he was being shown a

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
ykazka
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enemy Territory Quake Wars leaked. Lol.Check out e-mule.Lol again
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure piracy isn't as big a problem on console.............What planet is he on?
No one can keep tabs on the sheer volume of pirated PS2 games for eg out there, so it's easy to just say 'not a problem on console'.
I don't know anyone that *hasn't* got pirated games on a console.

Internet game downloads -who's bright secure idea was that? VALVE enjoyed that experience for sure. Laughing

Maybe if they bring back hanging for piracy, they may stop it Wink
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, another thing. An example would be Test Drive Unlimited. Why isn't there an option to lower the graphic detail in the PC version to the level of PS2 (and there is a PS2 version available)? Since there is no demo for the game i used a pirate copy to discover that; I need extra 200$ to play the game. No worries Atari, the pirate copy is no longer on my hard drive.

There seems to be less and less demos. But the ones that do come out usually don't represent the final product in any way. The stability of the code you get in a demo of a game and in the final product differs greatly. Usually, a demo packs a pretty level which is in retail copy packed with a load of mediocre crap. And when you do buy the actuall game, you are to wait for the first patch to come out so you can actually play it.

I'm giving up lately. I have some cash gathered and i need some more to assemble an absolute beast of a machine. But I'm having second thoughts about getting a new PC or buying a PS3 and wait for GT4 and GTA4. What do you think? Smile
Sawnoff
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
If these guys were industry veterans, they'd understand what's happening here. People aren't buying games because of piracy, but because of the high percentage the game they buy is bad Exclamation

Also, I wonder if they've considered this: after spending $500 on a video card, people don't have any money left for games. I'm not incredibly rich. I can't afford to spend $50 - $60 on random mediocre games on top of the ridiculous amount of money it takes to maintain a decent gaming PC.

I'll only pay for absolutely amazing games such as F.E.A.R., Half-Life 2, Titan Quest, Tron, C&C, Syberia, Fahrenheit, Painkiller and so on.

I agree 100%, the times i have gone out excited to get a new game, spent my $50....and gone home and wanted to cry after loading it, pretty bad for a 40 year old construction worker Crying or Very sad
These developers are all following Bill Gates business model, Push it out the door and figure out how to make it work later....
I know this is not news to anyone, but Paradox's OEM bios emulator is still passing windows WGA, but only 32 bit Vista. Still it comes in all 32 bit flavours, errrrr i would suggest Ultimate though. Laughing
Safer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony is that they instead release tons of demos for the consoles instead. Smile
ykazka
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anybody can sue them for false advertizing? You have seen it in game trailers at E3, fancy-looking screen shots and date release promises and so on. When I go to a car dealership I don't see a sign saying "actual driving may differ from a test drive"Smile Somebody should kick their ass, at least try to...
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only three games I'm going to be playing on my PC which I have actually pre-ordered are: UT2007, Crysis and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
There are quite a lot of great games coming out that have persuaded people to fork out cash, but with the whole Hamachi generation taking off, bypassing online cd-key checks wont be such an issue anymore when it comes to playing multiplayer through LAN hacks.
I didn't really want to restrict myself this time round though, so I thought I'd take the risk and actually buy these three hyped games *gasps*
Alan Wake and the new Penumbra have also taken my fancy, so I'll probably grab those too... but it does depend on my financial situation.

UT2007 was going for a bargain pre-order price on Amazon for quite some time, so I thought I'd save myself a few bob by doing it that way.
Pre-ordering early has definitely kept the 'warez0rz' attitude at bay for a little bit, but I'm not exactly saving a HUGE amount.

I just recently managed to sell my tired old 7950 GX2 for a little over £230, and by a complete fluke, managed to pick up the XFX 8800 GTX XXX card for a rock bottom £308 off eBay! that's £180 off the retail price Laughing
That's the hardware side of things taken care of for a while I hope.

It's crazy how much money is being dealt about though, and the price of graphics cards these days are going up and down like a bunch of badly blown up bouncy castles.
The only thing that can be done is to do the whole sell and upgrade hardware routine quite early, so you're saving yourself a huge amount in the long-run.
I suppose that is one way to make games more affordable.
God knows why I bother so much with all of this when most of the time I'm caught playing with my Nintendo DS instead Very Happy

lmer: don't waste your time with the PS3; get yourself a new PC and buy the PS3 in a year or two when there are good games out and it has an established homebrew/mod scene.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah I had a response about your creative story behind your 8800 upgrade, but who cares? It's your money your story that can't be substantiated. But I will say, Hamachi isn't just taking off recently, it's been ongoing for 5 years man. You're just behind I guess if you think it's only just taking off. Everyone I know or met in the gaming community knows and has been using Hamachi for a long long time.

I think it's funny ur telling people to save their money when you bought a card that's gonna take a $200+ price dump in a few months...

(sorry couldn't resist)
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware always takes a price dump, news to me and everyone else here?

Quote:
I think it's funny ur telling people to save their money when you bought a card that's gonna take a $200+ price dump in a few months...

After selling my card, I essentially only spent £80 on the 8800 GTX upgrade. I fail to notice how your optimistically mentioned price drop holds that much of a significance?
What's the point in waiting a few months? so my old 7950 GX2 can de-value even more? and the next range of graphics cards are out on the block with an even higher price tag? At least now with the 8800 GTX I can't complain that my CPU is bottlenecking anything.
I couldn't care less whether you believe me or not, so there is no need for me to substantiate any of my transactions.

I only told my story in the hopes that it would inspire others with high-end cards to take a similar route. What's wrong with that? if people aren't interested they can just ignore what I have to say. It's not like my aim was to provoke anybody or cause grief.
You spend more time pointlessly bitching at people and moaning on this forum than actually saying anything mildly constructive.

In regards to Hamachi, I admit I hadn't got round to properly using it until Supreme Commander came out, but I had heard of it from a couple of my old clan-mates.
A lot of online gamers I've played with told me that not everyone seems to know about it.
Oh noes, that makes me behind the times Laughing
Honestly XXXX, are you starting to get lonely now that you haven't got Stumpus to argue with every few minutes or so?
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but with the whole Hamachi generation taking off, bypassing online cd-key checks wont be such an issue anymore when it comes to playing multiplayer through LAN hacks.

You go out making claims that Hamachi is really taking off but it's old news which shows how much you know and now trying to cover up your obvious tech-lacking-knowledge skills by putting me down. Clever. Stumpus-idious? lmao...

About your video card, much like your story. I honestly, really couldn't give a $hit. Good for you, you bought a 7950, obviously had lots of value that you dumped it for an 8800 shortly after... You truly know your stuff or your wallet is thick! Yehaw.

I'll consider a 8800 at the right time, when games necessitate their requirement and when prices are realistic. I don't just go buy a new video card so I can be cool around my buddies and I don't recycle them in my computer like you do. I have my 7600 and right now, not a game I have thrown at it has given me a problem and I already finished Vegas at high detail minus the lousy blur.

Alan Wake = DX9 doesn't need a 8800 either neither do any of the other games you mentioned. The only game that can substantiate your need for a 8800 is Crysis...based on your experience and knowledge I doubt you will ever know just when your bus is bottlenecked. At the rate you upgrade, I wouldn't worry. lmfao.

Another sheep joins the herd...
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx, as far as I am concerned, you can take your over-zealous judgmental, arrogant attitude and shove it where the sun don't shine.
You proved my point entirely, you're only capable of criticizing people rather than actually conversing in a positively constructive manner.
My wallet is definitely not thick, but I try to manage my hardware related purchases as best as I can.
Also, in-case you haven't noticed, different people have different sums of money that they are able to spend on different things, and just because someone else can fork out on something expensive, does not make them a sheep.

Tech-lacking-knowledge? stop trying to compare the size of your balls with everyone else dude. Who cares how much tech knowledge someone has, and since when does Hamachi determine how much skillz someone has? stop being so irrational and teenage, this isn't somethingawful.com
I haven't even needed to do a LAN hack for ages because 99% of the games I play online I actually buy. The last time I can remember using anything like that was with BattleNET.
Why is that such a big deal to you?
You say that you don't care, but you keep bringing up all this sh£$ all the time.

I have always kept a cool attitude with you, because I was hoping that there was a part of you that 'was' able to socialize and have respect for other people (key word there xxxx, it's called respect), but that has since gone out of the window with your last response.
What a joke!
ykazka
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!
I laughed my ass off!
U guys are the best!
Its like "hey-F*CK YOU!!" ---- "hey, I am sorry, sir, but F*CK YOU too!!"
That forum has never been better.lol.

p.s.by the way,this e-mule image,it seems that it can't be mounted.I tried deamon and ISO.any ideas anybody?please?
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is a funny déjà vu side to it.
It's more in the range of 'frustrating' for me, especially when all I did was post something harmless.
I bet the reason we don't see a great deal of people posting here is because xxxx scares most of the lurkers away Laughing

ykazka, e-mule image? maybe it's a fake. Have you also tried mounting it in Alcohol 120% or checking it with UltraISO?
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww cry me a river. Maybe if you stop spewwing BS, you wouldn't have that problem. Again, I could and would have sat here correcting your last post. But I don't want you to cry more, so I'll give you a break... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: