Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl reviewed [23410]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl reviewed [23410] Reply with quote

Bit-Tech,

Boomtown (9/10),

C&VG (8/10),

Eurogamer (8/10),

GamePro (4.25/5),

Gamespot (8.5/10),
IGN (8.2/10),

TrustedReviews have reviews of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl online for your viewing pleasure:

The game's artificial intelligence is impressive, both in and out of c

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I take it's good enough to buy? lol. good. Better be.
djRom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely worth the money from what my friend is telling me. He's probably about a quarter into the game and keeps ranting about how amazing the AI is Laughing
I really can't wait to play it on thursday; I expect that's when it will arrive for me, according to Amazon.
yhancik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing They didn't fail !!
Oh the good news !
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now be officially proud of our Ukrainian game developers. At least one great and memorable game came from my country!
Ah, too bad I'll get it only on Friday or Saturday.
Lots of people on russian and ukrainian forums have already downloaded an iso image and play the game. I'm already sick from reading their comments and salivating =)
SiReK
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im as u see Poland and Stalker will be first after (burning crusade) oryginale game i preordered and want to play. I have checked it out and love it!
Smiley_ie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth getting, about an hour into the game. The best thing about it is it feels like a PC game.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the videos it looks like the AI is dumb as snot. Like guy at top of stairs..or the creature he's shooting that does nothing much but run around the same area... La La La. like the guy at the top of the stairs appears like he's doing nothing and the guy playing takes his time offing him... Gawd! I hope the AI is not like Farcry was.. Farcry was so lame when u took out a guy with a scope gun and his partner is like 15 feet away and doesn't even flinch.. I hope it doesn't have that crappy of AI... You see the same thing in Crysis too.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has being playing it a lot recently, and here's pretty much what he's said to me over the past day (I'll reserve judgment until I play it for myself though, as he's incredibly picky with stuff like this):

The AI isn't super amazing, infact there are tons of bugs, like sneaking being almost impossible as the AI can see through walls.
There are also stupid situations where you can use a silenced gun to shoot someone in the head when they are talking to someone, and the guy next to him wont flinch or even act like he just saw his friend getting owned Laughing
Also, money is pretty pointless because you can't really buy anything, yet you can find tons of money; medikits are far too abundant and there are a lot of garbage items that have little or no use, such as armour that has +3 Bullet Protection but almost no protection against radiation, meaning you'll die in a few seconds just walking around Laughing
You can kill off 99% of a faction but the last guy alive in it will still have a friendly disposition when you talk to him.
Sometimes when you zone out, you can appear in a bandit camp and get owned without even noticing what has happened.
Bandits respawn like crazy, and there is pretty much almost no wildlife apart from what seems like a few scripted events and uninteresting random encounters.
The OpenAL version in the game is about 6 years old or something, and some guy on a forum posted the BF2 OpenAL just so people could use surround sound Laughing
The game is by no means as open ended as it was hyped, and for some people, the size and linearity of it will be a slight let-down.
The list goes on, there were a lot of other minor issues, but those were the main gripes.
Quite hilarious for a game that has been in production for god knows how long.

Apart from that, he said the game IS great, but it is in need of desperate patching. Looks like the Silent Hunter 4 dev team beat the Ukraine's to that though Razz
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow don't know if I am angry or just surprised. Though I have just started playing the game I can't get over this 'cheap' feeling in the game. It feels cheap. The AI is as I feared, crappy, like you say there is like Aimbot type quality. I figured I would play STALKER skill level and the aim some of these guys have is just nuts. The physics are not all that I thought it would be and seems to tend to be kind of cheap. The narration or voices seem a lot better than the garbage I heard in the Demo.. so that's good. I guess I will play the game through but so far it's not as good as I hoped it would be. Level design is nice and open but unless this cheapness feel to it gets better. This game to me is average so far. I thought at least when you talk to guys they would talk back but instead it's this cheap reading crap. Didn't see that coming at all. On the otherhand the sound is not bad however the surround to me doesn't seem at all accurate. Like a guy shooting from the right, sounds like it's coming from the right but there is nobody there when you look meanwhile a guy on the left is shooting you from a mile away with a pistol. The other thing that's irritating and stupid at same time is that you start the game off and everyone is using pistols. Not one submachine gun... kinda lame. I know why they did it but it's not realistic to me...

Anyhow, I also bought the followup to Titan's Quest so that will fill in for the loss of excitement of STALKER. Multi-player is out for me, it's elite camper heaven and when you got a group of people on voice camping for the thrill of pissing genuine players off playing, nah, honestly I got better things to do.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually spoke too soon about Silent Hunter 4, you never guess what they've done with that game.
No matter what resolution you pick, the in-game graphics (minus the menu GUI) will be perm set to 1024x768.
Hooray for today, two potentially great games with near-show stopping issues, it seems like games are getting worse and worse in-terms of final release stability, what the hell is going on? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: