Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

DOOM 3 Benchmarks [16431]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with these pathetic sites that *PROMOTE* top of the range graphics cards WHEN they preview a game Rolling Eyes As usual, they all get a 'back hander'=$$ for plugging the game.

Quote:
the GeForce 6800GT looks to very much be the sweet spot when it comes to playing DOOM 3 with all the eye candy turned on at high resolutions. Obviously the 6800 Ultra is even faster for those of you that need the best no matter the cost. If I had to make a list of high end video cards to purchase to play DOOM 3, the GeForce 6800Ultra and GeForce 6800GT would easily take the number 1 and number 2 spots with the ATI Radeon X800XT-PE rounding out the number 3 place.

Then it CONVENIANTLY has a review of the nVidia 6800GT on the left of the DOOM3 preview Rolling Eyes
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3

What happened to the 99% of graphics cards that the ordinary person in the street will own when they buy this or HL2? Where's the REAL facts on FPS.

A totaly biased opinion that tells you NOTHING how DOOM3 will run on your machine!
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omfg i agree with stumpus. lmao. i agree 100% with ur analysis. as i said, review sites are biased most of the time(thats why you can't count on one) or some put in obvious bias in their reviews. it's always easy to see who gets the payouts to do the reviews. as i said, don't look at nvnews except for driver news outside of that it's just a marketing site for nvidia as is rage3d.

@JamieK, well obviously u don't play enough games or nearly as much as me and see, i have a machine with a 9700, so u can BS the rest but don't mess with the best. ATI better at image quality? really? u got a great eye there JamieK or just really good at remembering dumb details of reviews. ur comment reminds me of a moron who said, get xp profession, home edition is shit. wow, didn't know ms made a complete different os when they did home edition. home edition is the same bloody thing, just cut down user management and no web server. whoppe.

@flux, then why did you respond moron.

@rupbert, well ati "is" losing now depending on the reviews you read, anyone can go to pro-ati sites and see their company of choice winning, what you think a pro-ati site is gonna show ati losing. ati will not catch up again, and they will go back as being a 'contender' as i said "months" ago. nvidia can also play the game of milking too and nvidia has been doing it much longer than ati. i know, all u ati fanboys are in denial, it's ok, your cards will last u until u cave and go nvidia.

i'm still waiting on a review/benchmarking site to give realistic machines with realistic setups for giving proper fps. we and i speak for all gamers, couldn't give a royal crap what a 3.6 computer and 6800 give me. i'm not a kid who goes out and spends every last penny he owns to make sure he has the best system out there and a ego to go with it. i did just recently upgrade my main gaming machine and that was for cpu and memory for photo editing, but it has also given a nice boost to BF, Painkiller, RON and Ut2k4.
JamieK
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care really.

My brother had non-stop problems with ATI cards. (before Radeons come out)

I had non-stop problems with Nvidia Cards since Geforce4 came out.
rupbert
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well xxxx the difference is I am not a fanboy, nor never will be. I read trusted un-biased reviews (Bit-Tech, Hexus), not like the fanboy Tom's hardware spouts...

I have owned Nvidia in the past, the ti4200 being an excellent card. Now I own a 9800xt, again an excellent card. I am not really bothered which manufacturer can produce an extra 'four' frames per second. I am more concerned with reliability, which in my opinion have found ATI to be more so.

I like most people will buy a gfx card based on: It's performance to price ratio, it's reliability and it's driver compatibility.

NOT because it has been produced by ATI / NVIDIA.

Oh and by the way, can you point me in the direction of a review that categorically states that an NVIDIA 6800 destroys an ATI X800 in all benchmarks? NO!

Neither could I show you a review that states the opposite. Fact is both cards have their own attractions; NVIDIA with its shader 3.0 support, and ATI with it's much better AA/AF handling.

Now please if you are going to reply keep it above a reasonable level of intelligence.
JamieK
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put Rupert.

i am a ATI user, but i have also used a Nvidia card, but i play games like XWA, Freespace 2 and i have encountered nothing but trouble from Nvidia with these games.

So i am with ATI now.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya except you are both clued out because that has been my stance all the time, i don't give a shit if ati beat nvidia by a few fps, never have(i posted that because it was the intelligence level of some people here that think fps is everything). i've never said nvidia is rippingly faster i just said it was a better card and a better company that has been around for 'gamers' a hell of a lot longer than ati. what i have said is nvidia compared to ati is not even close. since you are obviously unaware of my previous posts, i'll re-summarize for you. quality, drivers and performance an reliability. that's what makes a good gc. ati fails in drivers and reliability. i can say that i never have problems with Windows XP just as you guys can say you don't have problems with ati, well your driver release notes from driver to driver indicate differently and i'd be a liar to say that of windows xp. glad to see you got 9800xt, enjoy them. now i wonder though, i guess the fact nvidia pops up in your face on most game intro's that didn't sway you to go nvidia? let me guess, that nvidia stuff to you is just marketing right?? to Jamiek especially, as far as i'm concerned anyone that has problems with a nvidia card is a n00b on computers. i have never known ANYONE to EVER have a problem with ANY nvidia card and that includes my 60 year old father. rupbert, it's unfortunate that hx removed past comments, you'd see my comments are similar to yours. and i as well, go to various sites. what? you think i rely on hx here alone.. hahahhaha, right! i dont actually prefer nvidia over ati and actually i have ati in my machines(9700 saphire) but i also have nvidia. both are decent but to say ati is a better card for what you indicate is a crock. ati is not even bloody close in drivers. ati driver releases are bug fixes solely or now to provide more compatibility to x800 cards. maybe it's because i talk to actual game developers, but i don't know one single developer that has said, oh we are developing based on the ati platform. Ha, never said man, it's always nvidia nvidia nvidia. that is the whole point of my post up there, with Get in the Game. It's should be Trying to get into the Game. ati is amazing at smoke jobs but when one investigates and talks to influential game developers it's nvidia in there, not ati. but either way, enjoy your cards.

Last edited by xxxx on Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamieK
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are a company there for the gamers otherwise they would have fixed that text corruption i get on Nvidia cards from Geforce4 and above.

ATI don't have that problem.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what game? sorry, only problem i had that on was due to AA settings or that the game was running 60Hz. BF as an example, needs to have the option turned on to allow all refresh rates, and this is a problem in the game and affects BOTH ati and nvidia cuz i have the same exact issue on my nvidia as i do on my ati. specify the game. likely a easy fix.

p.s. 512mb of ram is insufficient for todays games. upgrade to 768.
flux
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone with a decent PC has too worry about the playability of DOOM 3 on their PC : "As John Carmack said of DOOM 3 in our introduction, "all of the modern cards play the game very well.""

Only if you want superior graphics at high resolutions than it's going to cost you $400 or more. Btw 512 MB RAM should be enough for today's games assuming you don't have loads of spyware and shit on your PC.

Btw xxxx have you ever learned to use capitals nfi??
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well people like me don't go out and blow $70 to play at medium quality but of course that's common sense, so i'm sure i have totally lost 3/4 of you. ya carmack is gonna say, you can't play his game. duh.. ya bill gates said his next version of Windows is bug free! cool no more patches! wooo
flux
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@xxxx i agree, but with decent I mean a $ 150-$ 200 card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: