Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Explaining DDR Memory Bandwidth [16419]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Explaining DDR Memory Bandwidth [16419] Reply with quote

This CoolTechZone's article will help you better understand memory bandwidth and the role it plays in your system's performance. It could also save you some money when selecting memory for your system. Here is an excerpt:

ors can use JEDEC-authorized specifications yet still achieve higher-than-DDR400 data tra

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Genoism
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things, wasn't the front side bus on the athlon xp 333mhz or if a barton 400mhz? Unless thats what 3200/mb a sec is the equivilant to. And if so then if the harddrives can at most only handle 133mhz transfer speeds whats the point of going above that? Unless maybe if you say that some of the stuff you do remains in the ram...
2nd thing was, i just recently got a amd athlon 64bit 3200 proc, the front side bus on that is 1600mhz full duplex(whatever duplex means). So if my ram is pc2700 at i think 333mhz then my 1600mhz front bus speed should be useless? I only have one stick of 512 there but i think what your saying is that if i get another 512 stick it will go a mere 1-15 percent faster? That doesn't seem to be a whole lot eh?
maga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man...you haven't got a clue, have you ?

Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither have you obviously maga, look at your dumbass comment. Rolling Eyes

@Genoism, don't worry your system is very good, of course I don't know what video card you are using, but in terms of your cpu and mobo you are fine. Today most people will tell you 768mb is a good standard now, but to be honest, 1gb of ram is better. Upgrade your ram and then if you have a current vid card, you'll be more than fine with any new game.
Genoism
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, im not really worried about gaming, i just wanted to understand better about the ddram transfer speeds and why is it so important to get a mere 1-5% better transfer rates.
maga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genoism wrote:
2 things, wasn't the front side bus on the athlon xp 333mhz or if a barton 400mhz?

Genoism wrote:
And if so then if the harddrives can at most only handle 133mhz transfer speeds whats the point of going above that?

Genoism wrote:
2nd thing was, i just recently got a amd athlon 64bit 3200 proc, the front side bus on that is 1600mhz full duplex

this whole post is fucked up, obviously, xxxx, and if you don't know it, you're just as stupid as i think.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
El_Coyote
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop being a wanker and explain the guy whe he is doing wrong then?
maga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Coyote wrote:

I don't understand what he wants !!! Sad
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maga wrote:
El_Coyote wrote:

I don't understand what he wants !!! Sad

Ya exactly, put him down and 'you' haven't even got a clue, a real genius. Oh, I'd explain it to him, but not interested anymore in helping anyone here or trying to explain anything, i'll let you big mouths explain it to him, after all you all know way more than anyone. especially, stumpus, maga and lucas. Genoism ask them directly for the answer. But to be nice to the original question or inquiry. as i know the bigmouths can't help you, you can read this article at Tom's.. http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19980101/ if that doesn't help just post back. i honestly, don't have the time, but i have a few links i give to people.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here was a good link i had, it gives you a nice list of the standard memory speed. http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade12_02_02.asp

something on hd speed, understanding that http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA.html dma133 = 133MB/s and serial ata 150MB/s

add this for a comparison for video card http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDI=
and you will note they used a system that most people don't have or require outside of gaming, to do a benchmark which leaves you in the end with comparing on 3dmark, so even if you don't know anything 3dmark is usually a good guessing tool of how close you are to others in terms of playabilty and quality. http://www.futuremark.com/
Genoism
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thank xxxx, i will definately check into all those things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: