Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Valve View on DRM and Pirates [26642]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Valve View on DRM and Pirates [26642] Reply with quote

Gabe Newell believes that the new way of entertainment is direct customer relationships, service orientation. Valve aims to touch their customers in some way every three weeks, not every three years when a new game is shipped. Valve have observed the following:

- 30-year old songs with a little service (Rock

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
amra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made quite specific observations and conclusions, thats a good thing.
Maybe for Valve Steam is a good way not to touch to customers in an annoying way, but I doubt that in general a aim of contact every 3 weeks is that realistic. You can send messages, but surely won't get that much response.
It also is good to know, Valve noticed that to restrictive DRM is just not customer-friendly, instead of the simplicizity of downloading a cracked version of a game.
I hope enough people buy Prince of Persia in retail-versions without DRM, so Ubisoft came to some similiar conclusions, and offers more games without 5 times activation and what do I know what else for crap you can/must live with.
Just my 50 cts.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so says valve who were themselves hacked re Half Life 2 for instigating on-line activation . we don't want on-line anything! Hypocrites Rolling Eyes
Jelster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Amra If you consider the traditional model, patches are best dropped in a big bundle. With Valve and Steam they can easily touch the customers with a bug fix or tweak every few weeks without throwing the community into an incompatibility spin. I think they can bring their customers closer, I know I flick through their store pages, watch their twitter feed etc to see what's going on.

@Stumpus The fact I have to go online to play an online game or buy a game online is hardly a burden, you know, because you're already online. I can only see this being an issue for someone who insists on buying a retail box because they think it means they "OWN" the game. In the scheme of things Valve's DRM is a nice compromise between having nothing at all and having some BS hacked mess like securerom. You just really need to get past your traumatic history with HL2.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jelster]
@Stumpus The fact I have to go online to play an online game or buy a game online is hardly a burden, you know, because you're already online. I can only see this being an issue for someone who insists on buying a retail box because they think it means they "OWN" the game. In the scheme of things Valve's DRM is a nice compromise between having nothing at all and having some BS hacked mess like securerom. You just really need to get past your traumatic history with HL2.[/quote]

Wrong, when you experience total HDD failure and then have to download GIGS of all your Steam purchases/patches etc,etc. it isn't very rosey at all is it? If you own retail, then you can install at leisure -without screwing up your monthly download allowance OR being throttled back by your ISP. This is the reality Not some half cooked assumption.
Eggs in one basket, never heard of that?

Besides what is your traumatic problem with secuRom or Starforce etc,etc??? In 15years i have never had a problem with any DRM (other than limited install licenses -but that's personal, not hardware) Only people that bleet about SecuRom are those that run cloning progs, alcohol etc. If you own a retail copy you don't need $hit like that on your PC.
Jelster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
Wrong, when you experience total HDD failure and then have to download GIGS of all your Steam purchases/patches etc,etc. it isn't very rosey at all is it?

Sorry you're just wrong. Steam allows you to backup anything/everything you've downloaded as many times as you wish. You can keep one copy on your hard drive, another on DVD, hell send one to granny.

Reinstall as often as you like on any PC that you like. It even allows you to select which of the backed up games you want to reinstall so you can be picky as you like.

Worst case, even if you forget to make a backup, you can still download again and learn from your mistakes. Good luck doing that as you hug your one and only copy of a game on an unreadable DVD.

Quote:
This is the reality Not some half cooked assumption.

Considering you clearly don't have a clue what the Steam platform is capable of you may want to steer clear of assumptions yourself.

Quote:
Eggs in one basket, never heard of that?

Your eggs are in a basket called a physical disc. The DRM present on those discs prevent you from even making a backup copy should it become damaged, lost or stolen. I'm not denying that if Valve shut Steam down there wouldn't be a big question over what happened to the games but the reality is that it isn't in their interest to fuck their customer base and ruin their business. Gabe's statements go to only further prove that.

Quote:
Besides what is your traumatic problem with secuRom or Starforce etc,etc??? In 15years i have never had a problem with any DRM (other than limited install licenses -but that's personal, not hardware) Only people that bleet about SecuRom are those that run cloning progs, alcohol etc. If you own a retail copy you don't need $hit like that on your PC.

I have no traumatic problem with them (hint: you're the one who's sore about online activation on a 4 year old game). However these DRM measures punish the honest customer and impose restrictions and hurdles on them that a pirate copy doesn't. If you're going to use DRM it shouldn't impede your paying customer's experience of your product, it shouldn't decide what software can and can't be installed on your computer. The fact that the DRM does little to hinder piracy is only salt in the wound if you ask me.

Steam doesn't hinder me playing games, it doesn't dictate what software I can install (unless 3rd parties add their own DRM), it doesn't require I do more than click on a game I want to play. It gives me multiple ways to backup my games, play them on multiple PCs, keep them updated without having to pay Fileplanet for some premium account. They get new content and tweaks. Discounts are common and not just on the crap games that nobody wants. In short it has the necessary DRM to prevent leisurely copying but few of the restrictions that physical media DRM has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: