Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Doom 3 [16575]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For easier reference i copied my earlier links

1st set
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/8266/shot65.jpg
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/1765/shot66.jpg

2nd set
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/9686/shot67.jpg
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/9452/shot00006.jpg

3rd set
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6543/shot68.jpg
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/3742/shot69.jpg

4th set
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/1223/shot00009.jpg
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/3785/shot70.jpg

EDIT: Good Grief man, you reply fast! Well, from a programmers point of view, it's kinda fun trying to predict AI's by guessing how their decision paths work. Who knows i might write one someday (Yah, dream on)

EDIT2: Umm... i'm using a 5900xt (Not exactly cutting edge) and those shots were taken from High settings.

EDIT3: It's 4:20am, i'm going to sleep. I'll come back tomo... err... later.... whenever
Ock462
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Sweet Reply with quote

It's always 4:20 somewere Very Happy
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya seen the shots and in ur own screenshots the lousy textures are there. ok, this is nuts doing this btw but,

065-too dark but textures on left wall are better but not bump mapped and if bump mapped, hardly.

067, another dark pic, are you infering the floor is bump mapped? it looks decent but its also dark in that pic.

068- you can see lousy texture on the left, the silver beam again dark to see but more visible slightly higher gamma but again, what are you inferring that is bump mapped exactly?

0009 that pic clearly shows a poor texture around the light, that's a pic of a light, not a real light.

for those curious on what the hell bump mapping is, you can go here http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/bumpmapping/. it's not bad. i guess in terms of doom3 mapping i'd say its very iffy with the amount of bump mapping and at various places such as Ock462 anyone can clearly make out the textures i speak of, like the light on the left in 009, thats just a cheap bitmap.

show me where you believe specifically the bump mapping is.. if anything there is 'mild' bump mapping in the maps and various places it's just cheap textures as i pointed out. i see no difference between your screens and mine in terms of quality. your shots have lots of areas there are cheap textures. im gonna work on figuring a way to share some pics.
FX5950
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* * * xxxx said, "hahaha i love it, hx is back and ALL OF A SUDDEN, it's quiet. LMAO!" * * *

Apparently not. You seem to be going on. Not everyone sits in front of the computer all day. I thought I had a dry spell with a couple hour window of down time, but you, sheesh. You never leave! Sad, but understandable. None-the-less; I hear ya on that bump map thing. LOL. Uh...I'm gonna have to go back and look at those screen shots again. You see what you can find out on your end. Me and the wife are gonna check out a movie or something. I'll check back later. See if you can't figure out a way to 'share some pics' with the rest of us. It'd certainly make things easier.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no bump mapping in the maps, just a mix of good and bad textures. with higher res it will appear better but its still a cheap painted texture. it was done obviously for better performance, it's just too bad they couldnt have done a better job or used better texture compression techniques like in UT.

anyhow, it is a fun game(i don't deny it), but it's as i stated, nothing huge and for me a weak followup to a great game. if physics and stuff and textures in hl2 are what i think, the game is gonna make d3 look like d2. im hoping like hell, cuz after that its stalker and brothers in arms. i'm waiting for someone to show us what our computers can REALLY do and not kill us at same time in requirements. UT2k4 is only one so far in terms of best graphics and no video lag with current hardware. so as many are doing right now, waiting for HL2. i pray valve doesnt mess it up. Very Happy
maga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for all of you, who were born yesterday, my icon is a detail of the Voodoo3 3500 box.

sad no one recognized it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lucas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maga: oh goodie, the card that made 3dfx what it is today! very important in gfx history

xxxx wrote:
there is no bump mapping in the maps, just a mix of good and bad textures.

I love the way you continue to insist upon this, even though sly has already shown multiple screenshots showing bumpmapping turned on and off, EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED IN YOUR ARTICLE. Best troll ever!
MrSmee
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XXXX:

Look at this picture:

Now, look at this picture:

What's the difference between the two?

Sorry to hijack your pictures, Sly, but that XXXX kid is really dense...
FX5900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrSmee wrote:
XXXX:

The first one is from an Nvidia card. The 2nd is from an ATI card.

To the tryhard FX5950... please do us a favour and downgrade. You are trying so hard to be a hardass, but it's not working. I'm flattered you want to be like me, but you never will be unless you buy nVidia and take some punishment from me. Let me mould you into a true nvidia fanboy... i'll turn you into a real man. Wink

now go and finish your homework! Laughing
FX5950
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say something 'lil man? Trust me you have not a clue. And why are you still rambling on with yourself? I'm sure you have feelings of inadequacies and feel spamming GGMANIA with your nonsense somehow compensates, but these idiotic posts of yours certainly aren't helping ya. But, indeed, go on. Keep lying to yourself. It’s funny in a pathetic sort of way.
amra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps id really want to have it out to beat hl2 in time?
this would have been an strategic thing, and so you see issues that where not finished off. but to say, i run an 1.3 athlon with 512mb sdram and an msi gf4 ti 4200, and i'm in no position to say something over bump mapping and other perhaps very hot features :D.
to my opinion it a real nice game for my first 2 hours of gaming.
the blood and bodys overall are a scary thing. although there is the hand with the pda, but not with touchscreens the solution how to use them is good, and easy to use, i think.
but i not frustrated because doom III was hyped and now it has some problems in somebodies eyes. Jah, i like to play it, what should me worry, except the dark floors on mars :)
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrSmee wrote:
XXXX:

Look at this picture:

Now, look at this picture:

Sorry to hijack your pictures, Sly, but that XXXX kid is really dense...

First one looks like mine exactly, second one looks like complete crap. let me guess, shot69 is from your machine? time for a new vid card, if so.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucas wrote:
maga: oh goodie, the card that made 3dfx what it is today! very important in gfx history

xxxx wrote:
there is no bump mapping in the maps, just a mix of good and bad textures.

I love the way you continue to insist upon this, even though sly has already shown multiple screenshots showing bumpmapping turned on and off, EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED IN YOUR ARTICLE. Best troll ever!

as i said from the start Lucas, you have no clue. shaddup, cuz you still don't have a clue. geez, n00bs flocking to this site like there's no tomorrow Rolling Eyes was GSA too much for you or something Lucas?
WilderWein
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@amra
Bump mapping is a DX8 feature... the Ti4200 shouldnt have any trouble with it. Just try the Future Mark (Mad Onion) 02 Benchmark and you will see.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another site. Now this guy and I should be best friends with.

Quote:

Posted by lestat (Member # 942) on 05-08-2004 09:47 AM :

My thoughts on it.

Graphics are Impressive, the lighting/shadows and bumpmapping are to the extreme, but i can't help but feel that there are quite a few places were textures are just too damn low in quality and blurry. After seeing amazing crisp detail textures in farcry this is annoying. Also pointy head syndrome, the models are a little too low poly and when up close the bumpmapping can't hide that fact. There is the trademark id colour scheme in use. I just have concerns on how good this engine will handle large environments, Crytek showed they can do stencil shadow lights and expansive outdoor environments with physics and vehicles to boot. Doom3 just isn't as impressive as it could be imo.

Gameplay, well it's certainly jumpy, the first hour you will be jumpy as shit comes out of nowhere and tries to fuck you up. Of course this one trick pony starts to get tired, I found after a while I started being quite good at predicting where the next bad guy would come out of what corner, everything is scripted to death so if you die and retry the same section, you know exactly where the bad guys will be and can fuck em up.

Weapon selection is a little too bland for my liking and i feel they should have a bit more kick in damage, the machine gun and shotgun just feel underpowered at times, plus reloading takes too damn long. When you've got demons who can fly across the room in less than a second, a small confined space and little cover, weapon reloading can really annoy the shit out of ya. So you gotta get into a habit making sure you have a full clip loaded before entering any new areas.

Then there's the silly flashlight thing, I found binding the flash light to my alternate fire button to be effective and but switching is just stupid, it should like riddick were the guns have flashlights mounted on them.

The problem is this game is cool for about the first hour or two, then all the glaring faults start poping out at you and you realise that just about every level and room has the exact same sequence and your left with find the key to open door gameplay which is just not good enough these days.

I should be in Hell soon so hopefully things pick a bit, but so far very underwhelming. The multiplayer is shit too so after completing it because of the heavily scripted nature of the game, there is no point playing it again.

only thing i don't agree with is the MP statements. MP is actually pretty fun with just 2 people but true it's nothing spectacular and the only thing really making it fun is the complete darkness. i'm sure a couple more hour sessions of MP and i doubt i will play it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: