Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Official Service Pack 2 or Autopatcher XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I install official service pack 2 (windows xp) or use autopatcher xp
Yes, install the official service pack 2
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
No, go with autopatcher xp
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

ace
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Official Service Pack 2 or Autopatcher XP Reply with quote

Hi people, I thought this might be an interesting poll to run on this board.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to install the official service pack 2 for windows xp, when its released, or install autopatcher xp (version 4.5 at the moment)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=482076d1733ada64dd73f4512c11fed7&showtopic=146452

I've heard from an IT friend of mine that the official service pack 2 slows your system down, and that it's more advisable to install autopatcher xp, which contains all the updates, including registry tweaks and more.

Is autopatcher better or worse than service pack 2?

So to help me decide (which may also be useful for others in my situation), which is the better option to go for?

I currently have service pack 1a.

Thanks for any help Smile
makaveli
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think it's up to you. The good part about using Winblow's autoupdate is that you are guaranteed that it is probably coming from Micro$oft themselves and that your updates won't have any extra stuffs in it but only from MS themselves... but like your friend would say, some patches will cause more trouble than before.

The good part about autopatcher would be that it does the tweaking all for you ... but the problem would be its authenticity.

Personally, I write my own reg files and do the tweaking myself. ^^v Good luck.
madda
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant really compare the 2 as one (SP2) is official from Microsoft and it only does what it says on the tin and patches Windows with the latest security patches. Autopatcher applies all the patches available on windows update and applies etc reg tweaks and additional programs etc, so im not really sure you can compare the two!

When SP2 has been released it will be included in AutoPatcher almost definately, so if one is part of the other it is like comparing chalk and cheese, they are incomparable in my opinion!
Ock462
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Autopatcher is Hard Core Reply with quote

Autopatcher is Hard Core! I use it on all of my computers. You can make your own custom patcher setup. Takes awhile to go through and pick everything out but it is worth it once you do. I would say use Autopatcher until SP2 officially comes out. It’s still being revised last time I checked. I haven't had any problems with Autopatcher; it actually makes my computers run smoother I think.
madda
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they will finish and release Autopatcher 2000 soon, as im using 2000 Pro and the current autopatcher is only useful for me at work at the moment! ah well!
ace
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the useful info, which I'll certainly keep in mind when Service Pack 2 is released Smile
madda
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had a thought about this, and i think you should just use autopatcher because eventually that will include SP2 aswell, so you will get SP2 when it is released aswell as all the tweaks that are also included in Autopatcher at the momesnt
ace
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Definite plus, saves the hassle of performing all the reg tweaks yourself, if you're a lazy pc owner like me Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: