Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

GeForce FX and DirectX 9 Half-Life 2 Performance [16748]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: GeForce FX and DirectX 9 Half-Life 2 Performance [16748] Reply with quote

t;/04/aug/hl2dx;left;hl2dx9b.jpg;GeForce FX 5950 DX9

In this recent article, Firing Squad discovered that not only does GeForce FX hardware default to DirectX 8, FX cards wouldn’t run Valve’s DirectX 9 path even when DX9 was specified in the console. It turns out that the console command they used

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
doodaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Shame on Valve Reply with quote

This is very pathetic. It's shady as hell for Valve to take millions of dollars from ATI. This should send them to court, or atleast expose them to gamers as the tools they have become. The excuse was to "package the game with ATI cards." Now it's seeming obvious that the money was bribe money. (The game is a year late, too, probably making ATI ask for even more favors. Oh and they blamed the lateness on a hacker. Pathetic.)

And Valve thinks gamers are bone-headed enough to believe that ATI cards are somehow way superior to nVidia cards, even though Doom 3 shows that both cards are very similar but that nVidia did a *little* better. HL2 tests show ATI as much better (cough). It's supposed to be nVidia's fault that the DirectX9 codepath won't start easily? Pathetic! Shame on Valve.

Instead of thinking nVidia cards are worse, I realize that Valve programmers aren't worth John Carmack's pinky toe. (Of course, I really believe they've taken a bribe in the open.)

I hate to be such a hippie, but this alone is reason for me not to bother buying/playing this game, even though I was looking forward to it. Gotta vote with your money, ya know.

P.S. Steam sucks. It's a Microsoft-like tactic from the ex-Microsoftees known as Valve. (You knew Gabe was an MS manager of some sort, right?) I wanted to play a simple game of TFC with my friends and because one of the more bone-headed ones installed Steam, we all had to. The viral effect in action.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a long time Steamer. Steam is great tool for gamers and a great thing from Valve. No more searching for updates, they send it to you whenever. It's the ultimate support tool for their games. Nobody plays HL1 without Steam. As for GL and D3D support, I agree with ya and there should be just the same support for GL. Unfortunately not, the game is D3D only(confirmed). nVidia is a better company than ATI is/will ever be so i'm sure there will be a nice handy driver update coming from nVidia for HL2. But as been said already, nVidia cards running Dx 8.1 mode in HL2, you'd have to have the monitors side by side to tell a difference as there is very little. the game though is not written specifically for ati, no matter what you have heard. the game just supports DX9 period. it was written to use DX9, just ATI right now is honing their card to work properly with DX9 where nVidia is still adjusting their drivers. there are lots of issues with both cards right now and as Steam says, these problems will be fixed in their upcomming drivers from both sides. these reviews and stuff on CS:S and HL2 is all bs. the game is still Beta and anything can happen from here to release. don't diss Steam, after you been using it for a little while, you will see that it was a great idea and the best damn support tool in gaming thus far.
lucas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Shame on Valve Reply with quote

doodaddy wrote:
And Valve thinks gamers are bone-headed enough to believe that ATI cards are somehow way superior to nVidia cards, even though Doom 3 shows that both cards are very similar but that nVidia did a *little* better. HL2 tests show ATI as much better (cough).

you cant really compare the two titles since one is OpenGL and the other is DirectX. wait till the game is released and both companies have released their optimised drivers, THEN start your whining. right now it's uncalled for and makes you look like a fanboy who's pissed of that their card is no longer winning in the benchmarks for the flavour of the month
El_Coyote
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19658

so ID's use of ultrashadows would be the same as what valve does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: