Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Carmack Promises To Fix Blurry Rage Textures [31775]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Carmack Promises To Fix Blurry Rage Textures [31775] Reply with quote

Great news for PC gamers as John Carmack has stated that the upcoming patch of RAGE will resolve all texture bluriness. As he tweeted, the new update for RAGE will include a bicubic-upsample plus a detail texture option that will eventually help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage.

We have a bicubic-upsample+detai

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, of course, you two-faced dick. Carmack. That will be your arse-talk 64gig RAM 12 core CPU's, That you said are what you build your games on? Blurry textures indeed..... The story of the pc, patch, patch, patch to sort out false promises. Then call them 'rewards' for being loyal....my arse! Game sale and rope the mug's in, he sniggered Laughing
DDRRE
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. we all remember Doom 3 and its ultra-crappy textures (even on the guns!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a bit late, I've almost finished the game going by estimated time to completion.

Not that I don't think providing some more detail textures won't be appreciated, its definitely one of ID's best games to date in terms of singleplayer, I'm sure if they did a Rage2 they might actually do a much better job if they took on the feedback. The detail textures is one of the easiest things they could have had on offer at retail release for the PC to fix many of the really blurry low res textures that quite frankly were a real disappointment to an otherwise really good job on the high textured game environments.

Anyway many have already stated things about Rage I'd agree with I just don't see mods fixing all that Rage should have been. One thing though why is it they haven't gotten rid of that stupid ass start screen with [Press Enter] yet?, leave that shit for consoles..
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this contradicts what he said on his id keynote speech. He said that they had to DOWNSIZE textures and artists were not pleased with that. SO what did they (artists) do with originals? Deleted them? Why upscale now instead of using either original or original but with less compression or something?!

Besides, textures aren't really that much of a problem as gameplay and storyline is. In terms of technical problems, streaming is more of an issue. Yes Caramack, we do tend to do sharp turns when playing with mouse, that's the whole point of kb + mouse...
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmack is nothing but a high-paid puppet. True gfx don't make a game but in the case of this game it totally ruins it. When you pan around and you see shit textures and then a second later it fills in is really fucking stupid and not with the times. How many other game do you know that handled textures so badly. Then even with tweaks the game textures still really looked like shit.

I am just happy I didn't pay the high price tag like a lot of other suckers did.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He said that they had to DOWNSIZE textures and artists were not pleased with that.

As any artists should be furious, some of those in game texture are worse than games 10years old... Its like you know whoever had done that texturing must have used something more high resolution originally as its already highly upscaled, so 1:1 those textures in game currently must be tiny compared to what they originally used in level creation. Good thing majority of the game level texturing survived the downsize nerfing.

Quote:
Deleted them? Why upscale now instead of using either original or original but with less compression or something?!

Don't think they are going upscale the same shipped textures, so must not have deleted original ones.

Quote:

Besides, textures aren't really that much of a problem as gameplay and storyline is.

I do agree

Quote:
When you pan around and you see shit textures and then a second later it fills in is really fucking stupid and not with the times.

Actually it kind of is with the times as streaming textures is better design, albeit not very well tuned as it should be for all hardware situations. And this mega texture method is not without its problems as its the very reason why so many detail textures that weren't considered as important had to be downscaled to make room for squeezing the game onto fewer discs.

So yeah the whole texturing popping in (which for me was really only noticable on loading a level which was quick in itself (not really moving around, but then I did use all the texture config tweaks) still doesn't bother me nearly enough as going into a room and looking at little details like posters, portraits, even the fucking job board (although I could see using blurry texture would make it easier than having to actually fabricate job postings).. where you don't get any more detailed texture pop in when you're just looking around casually.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, how the hell was this a 3 DVD game? What a fucking joke.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*yawn*
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Rage's textures quite satisfying really. Yeah there are some mishaps here and there but overall it's quite nice.

We've seen so many ridiculous console ports over the years, that make Rage look like a diamond.

Still, the new textures will be more than welcome.
Negcreep
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I completed it last night. The ending is very sudden and sucks quite a lot. Its not even a challenging last level, nor is there a boss.

I was impressed with the landscapes and atmosphere created with their new texture engine but as soon as you get up close you still have the blurry texture problem even with the graphics tweaks.

I'm not sure how many people are going to care about a patch for this as I most will have completed the game and never touch it again. I hear the multiplayer isnt amazing.

Could have been a great game Carmack....
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Seriously, how the hell was this a 3 DVD game? What a fucking joke.

ironically, it's because of textures ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: