Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

This is by far the coolest use of Kinect ever! [31879]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: This is by far the coolest use of Kinect ever! [31879] Reply with quote

The Gadget Show created an ultimate gaming simulator (thanks iceb) by combined several technologies. The cool thing: it relies on Kinect to work. This is what the simulator combines in order to provide the ultimate gaming experience:

- Battlefield 3 (the game you play)
- Igloo vision dome (8 projectors create a 360

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Do you die in the end?
Majnun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You die at the beginning.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akl this to play a mediocre and boring shooter when you could be playing something like Matrix. I'll take a Matrix game with equipment like this.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take tetris. Oh, wait, I hate tetris.
I'll take Fallout then.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the sad part? They could have had more fun and for less money if they just went paintballing. Seriously what's the fucking difference? Oh it's too real?

This is why something like this makes no sense and is retarded.
Ozieo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's a set up to get more hype
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise, it's a step forward with virtual world interaction and immersion, it's not retarded. I hope this kind of tech is experimented with more because there is so much room for improvement already. The omni directional treadmill is one thing, there is also the Cybercarpet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvrrBzC5zo&feature=related

If anything, I'd hope it is inspirational to the people who took part in the experiment.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilhood wrote:
I hope this kind of tech is experimented with more because there is so much room for improvement already.

Improve just because there is room? You gotta be kidding. There is always room.
This is the kind of thinking that got gaming to the lows where it is today. Graphics, realism, whatever else are constantly improved, but the most important factor - the fun factor - is completely lost.
If you want realism, go and sign up with the <names of your favourite armed forces here> so you can go shoot each other somewhere. If you don't like dying, go and shoot paintball (or some equally painful stuff) at each other somewhere in the forest where nobody cares.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilhood wrote:
Baconnaise, it's a step forward with virtual world interaction and immersion, it's not retarded. I hope this kind of tech is experimented with more because there is so much room for improvement already. The omni directional treadmill is one thing, there is also the Cybercarpet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvrrBzC5zo&feature=related

If anything, I'd hope it is inspirational to the people who took part in the experiment.

Simulators are useful for many things but that which was shown isn't one of them. Flying an airplane? Sure. Space Shuttle? Sure.

The article wasn't about any of that it was about gaming. You don't need graphics or a special suit to be immersed. Why do people read books? Seriously if you want to be immersed in combat without the cons paintball can get pretty close. You can smell the air and feel the woods or city around you. You will constantly get gibbed by someone stronger or smarter than you which isn't the case in a game. You can never beat that type of experience with some lcd's and a plastic controller.

If you're going to argue about altruistic reasons for VR use then it should be a video about a VR enviro that an engineer uses to create a car or an architect a school.

BTW did anyone watch the Leo Laporte video? I wasn't really sure about the Kinect not seeing black people and dismissed it at first when I heard it months ago. They sum up the problems with Kinect well enough in the video. The fake kinect videos are hilarious too.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
devilhood wrote:
I hope this kind of tech is experimented with more because there is so much room for improvement already.

Improve just because there is room? You gotta be kidding. There is always room.
This is the kind of thinking that got gaming to the lows where it is today. Graphics, realism, whatever else are constantly improved, but the most important factor - the fun factor - is completely lost.
If you want realism, go and sign up with the <names of your favourite armed forces here> so you can go shoot each other somewhere. If you don't like dying, go and shoot paintball (or some equally painful stuff) at each other somewhere in the forest where nobody cares.

Paintballing aside, there are people who want realism without consequence. Don't be facetious, and yes, of course there is always room. I said that based on technology that has already been developed which is far more advanced than what was applied in that article. People need to be reminded of that as well. The fun factor is only ever lost when direction is focused on one thing, but whilst it is possible to make strides graphically, doesn't mean it is impossible to make it fun at the same time. You just need to right kind of passionate people involved in a project to make that combination work.

@Baconnaise: A simulator doesn't have to be all about its application with real world practicality, training etc. It certainly doesn't have to be limited to combat either. Forgive me if I interpreted you wrongly, but to say "You don't need graphics or a special suit to be immersed", is a bit like saying "Why bother trying to improve immersion in the first place?". The point is that they tried to push something past the typical desk chair/computer/console environment, and it was very interesting.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil I take issue with the immersion and it's actual theoretical use for something useful to society. There are lines that need to be drawn in that regard. A good example where VR or computer simulation makes sense is practicing for a shuttle launch or space. This is fine because we can't just practice in space not to mention one calculation or mistake and you're dead or lose millions of dollars (com sat). Combat sims like that aren't useful like my shuttle or space example. Real target practice or scenarios with actual equipment against real people can't be beat.

I do agree the technology can go a long way and can only get better. My problem is with using something useless as a B3 or MW3 gimmicky sim as an example. Hell it's not even what would happen in the future if we could use robots as avatars as killing machines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: