Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews-The Pirate Bay Will Stop Serving Torrents [32246]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is, I thought it was clear but, that today, if you download a movie of a torrent, you pay nothing. You watch the movie, don't sell it, don't make money of it but you are a pirate according to companies. Even worse, if you get caught you are treated almost the same as the guy who downloaded it, burned it to a disk and sold it.

It is beyond me who gets in the chain that I mentioned first. Some warez group may or may not pay someone to bring them a copy of the game. Maybe even legit original copy. Then they crack it for their pleasure, it get's up on torrents. No one is making money.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok. So, we are clear on that individual downloads are not piracy, only the giants are trying to make it happen.

On that second part.
You have to separate the Scene from warez. The Scene is all about a race - who beats the other group in making a better demo in smaller size, who cracks a protection faster, rips a movie or does it even better in smaller size. Basically, "whatever" means to prove that my group is superior to yours. Unfortunately, there is no other way to prove that you won the race than uploading the content somewhere. Make no mistake, that 'somewhere' is very well protected, none of us will ever get even close to one of those.
The warez comes into play when they tap into a source that has access to these well-protected sources - using money, bribe, whatever means. And, from that point on, it is beyond the Scene; there is nothing they can do. Technically speaking, someone "stole their work". It gets distributed via various channels until it ends up on public torrent sites - nearly everyone making money in the process except the majority of the industry (I believe some industry members make money on that, too).
So, Scene is not evil at all - unlike the picture they like to paint about it. Individual downloads are not good for the industry, but not as evil as they describe it to be. Warez is. These are the guys that actually make money in the process and help distributing the illegitimate material.
What would happen if you took warez (including all pay-sites alike) out of the equation? Without funding, a lot of these sites would die after a while and access to the downloads would be very very limited - and number of downloads would go back to a fraction of what they are.
Problem is, the warez scene (like every other shady business) has ties in the media giants, military, government and other places as well. That's the reason why they are going after the little guy instead of the real root cause (which is the warez scene). Nobody bites the hand that feeds; you can't blame them. The longer they can milk the cow, the better. Nice villas, cars, high-class hookers, whatever you want. I know I would not want to give that up; would you? The little man - who can't do anything - plays for it all...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get access to the second hand. You have to pay. All that content is there is maybe hours behind the scene release. Google for the news servers and presto. I will never pay to download "pirated" content so that's about it for me.

Piracy also makes a lot of money for legit companies. HDDs, Internet providers, hosting companies etc. Rapidshare lives off of piracy. I could be wrong but I doubt it. How about hardware manufacturers? Console manufacturers would be happy if PC just died. Nvidia, AMD, intel and others, not so much.

Also, I think you are wrong about Warez. kill one site, two more emerge. I do agree that paying them is wrong but some people are just lazy or greedy so they pay them. Those that take money for pirated content ARE criminals. Not thieves, but criminals non the less. Maybe even thieves, I don't know, I don't care. They can make from ads or page hits/clicks etc. They don't have to charge access.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I might be wrong, but that does not change the fact that it is not the little man that should be punished - especially not when hackers made a zombie out of a PC and use it to transfer illegal content without the owner ever knowing...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Sure, I might be wrong, but that does not change the fact that it is not the little man that should be punished - especially not when hackers made a zombie out of a PC and use it to transfer illegal content without the owner ever knowing...

oh well, I wasn't even questioning that fact. botnets are annoying everywhere, even if it's not criminal activity.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There. Now they're going after the right audience. Those guys got rich on serving illegitimate content publicly for millions...
Quote:
MegaUpload - Closed.

FileServe - Closing does not sell Premium.

FileJungle - Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..

UploadStation - Locked in the U.S..

FileSonic - the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).

VideoBB - Closed! would disappear soon.

Uploaded - Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.

FilePost - Deleting all material (so will leave executables, pdfs, txts)

Videoz - closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.

4shared - Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.

MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors pro FBI

Org torrent - could vanish with everything within 30 days "he is under criminal investigaççao"

Network Share mIRC - awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrente everything.

Koshiki - operating 100% Japan will not join the SOUP / PIPA

Shienko Box - 100% working china / korea will not join the SOUP / PIPA

ShareX BR - group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOUP / PIPA

I think FileShare is missing from the list...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is rapidshare? Don't tell me that people buy premium accounts to host their pictures from the prom night.

as far as I can tell, only companies based in USA will be closed or screwed in some way. What they are actually doing is punishing average american that may or may not have used one of those sites for warez. Piracy will not decrease by much, if at all. This thing may just have the opposite effect all over the states.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's a work-in-progress kinda thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: