Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 7 users won't let go of the aging OS [47987]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malwarebytes bought it earlier, it seems and there's a new release here, too:
Quote:
Version: 6.0.2.0
Date: 04 March, 2019

Anyway, the question is: are any of these any good (I found reviews are either shit or heavily biased these days)?
Does the Windows firewall stop
- all forms of attacks
- all Windows components or did the government leave a backdoor for hackers?

Threats don't come from the browser only - they come from the OS itself and the network. Plus, I don't want Windows report everything I do.
Have you noticed, for example that every time you start an installer (setup.exe), a connection is made outside?

Well, being somewhat paranoid ensured thus far that my PC never got hacked (or any other PC around here for that matter). Albeit, users not clicking on shit in their emails helps a lot Razz
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what it does (WFC) is let you f**k up the firewall rules completely. By default, firewall only let's you use 8080 and few other commonly open ports and only for applications you had to click to let on the internet. You can always open firewall CP and check yourself what is allowed, what is not. WFC will just give you those with few less clicks. It uses the in-built firewall so that's that. By default, when you install it, it will ask you to allow deny every single outgoing and incoming connection. Most of those are already sorted by default in windows firewall, but when you install WFC it removes those rules and asks you to participate in enabling/disabling them.

As for installers: they do open connections, always did (for a long time). The thing is, I install updates, driver updates and that's that. I really have no issue with opened temporary connection. In case you DL some app installer, it is normal for it to go to internet and download components that it needs, is it not? Anyhow, it (windows) will ask you do you want it to allow to execute that (unless you disabled DAP and such because you don't like to be pestered with extra clicks, then the lack of security is on you. I disable those things for everything save for kernel level access)

Also, once again, I used that app to disable windows telemetry, reporting home and everything else that I have no benefit from but win10 wants to do. It's one DL, 10 seconds of ticking checkboxes, immunizing hosts file and a restart. This application is essential to me personally. But thats as far as my paranoia goes + i have more stable ping in games, no sudden spikes bcs windows is doing something on the web Very Happy

So that app and adblocker ultimate in browser is good enough for me. No problems so far. Last problem I had was last year with that 1809 update. But it's my fault. It wasn't offered to me but I went ahead got it and installed it anyway. Worked fine for a few weeks then it started, I don't remember what exactly was the problem but I reinstalled win 10 anyway.

Quote:
- all forms of attacks

dude Smile nothing does that Very Happy
Penetreitor

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Another big CONS Reply with quote

Another big cons on Win10 is, I can easily backup, restore, copy, move to another PC, a W7 partition with freeware, and this is not possible (for I know) with W10
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
immunizing hosts file

I read somewhere that Windows bypasses the hosts file for quite a few lookups.
Has that changed?
*Edit*
Here's the link:
https://www.petri.com/windows-10-ignoring-hosts-file-specific-name-resolution

gx-x wrote:

Quote:
- all forms of attacks

dude Smile nothing does that Very Happy

Agnitum Outpost did. Albeit, it was Russian-made, so they knew what the US government left open Wink

Penetreitor wrote:
Another big cons on Win10 is, I can easily backup, restore, copy, move to another PC, a W7 partition with freeware, and this is not possible (for I know) with W10

What about just unplugging the drive and plugging it back, as is?
Would that work?

Then taking a 1:1 copy of the disk to another, identical disk should work, too.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using something like partition magic to clone a partition or a drive, as long as you clone all boot partitions that are hidden (UEFI etc) will work 100%. I've done it many times and people that deal with laptop repairs do it all the time. Granted, if you are doing it with 2TB HDD it is a pain, but so is every other way on any system.

But, with partition magic you can just choose to migrate OS to another drive that you have connected and is empty and you are good to go.

Quote:
Agnitum Outpost did. Albeit, it was Russian-made, so they knew what the US government left open Wink

the people that made it could hack it. See my point? Nothing will ever protect you 100%, not even a disconnected network cable Very Happy

PS. expecting such a high security feature with 0 user interaction or annoyance is near impossible. And to get it for 50~100$ with OS? Well, I guess you can just remove network cable or use VM all the time, that should do it, to an extent, and at price...
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many things you cant do in W10. Widgets for one.
There are many apps that don't work in W10. WMC for one.
There are many hardware devices that don't work in W10. My USB scanner for one. (CMC machines work better on W7. I know a few refuse to work on W10 so for a business W10 is a huge no no.
There are many reasons why W7 is the best. Security for one. It gives M$ less control and you full control where W10 M$ have full control and you get screwed all the time.

I've got a Surface Pro 2 and its got W10 but an old version. I had to heavily modify it so it doesn't update as so far the 3 times I've tried to update it, its completely screwed things up. I always have video card problems, keyboard problems, half the apps just disappear and half just won't work. Screw that.
Its a M$ device and they cant even make an OS for their own devices. Pathetic.
My PC will stay on W7 even after M$ have killed it as its the best for what I need my PC to do.
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does this site always double or triple post?
Its happened twice in the last week.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedFaerie wrote:
why does this site always double or triple post?
Its happened twice in the last week.

Too sensitive mouse button? Very Happy
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedFaerie wrote:
There are many things you cant do in W10. Widgets for one.
There are many apps that don't work in W10. WMC for one.
There are many hardware devices that don't work in W10. My USB scanner for one. (CMC machines work better on W7. I know a few refuse to work on W10 so for a business W10 is a huge no no.
There are many reasons why W7 is the best. Security for one. It gives M$ less control and you full control where W10 M$ have full control and you get screwed all the time.

I've got a Surface Pro 2 and its got W10 but an old version. I had to heavily modify it so it doesn't update as so far the 3 times I've tried to update it, its completely screwed things up. I always have video card problems, keyboard problems, half the apps just disappear and half just won't work. Screw that.
Its a M$ device and they cant even make an OS for their own devices. Pathetic.
My PC will stay on W7 even after M$ have killed it as its the best for what I need my PC to do.

seems like "you" problem. There is newer wmc, it's no longer wmc but the apps from wmc exist, newer ones.

the rest from your list is pretty much the same, you just don't know how to do something. even widgets exist, hell, live wallpapers exist still. And on top of it, what is "Metro" if not the new cancer widget holder?
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/shipping-a-linux-kernel-with-windows/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/

You know where it's all heading, right?
I wonder when will they start calling it Winux 1.0.

Bottom line: Window 10 was the last Windows indeed. As of next summer, Windows is no more.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't really matter. Linux has became more windows than windows linux. It was and still is, the only way for Linux to have any users. I remember the Linux in which I had to manually create shortcuts to drives. Yes, Mac and Windows feature is now a standard in Linux too.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what it will mean from IT management perspective though...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they will have an issue at all. You are managing desktop machines for people that work in sales, or something like that. If FB works, it's all fine.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
If FB works, it's all fine.

Good one, lol

We manage R&D PCs, too and those guys like both their Windows and Linux as far as I can tell.
I guess time will tell how it all spans out; MS might be updating SCCM/Intune with proper Linux support in the future...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my friend in tech, new windows will have ability to use linux stuff, something about having two kernels...he linked some document 20 pages or so, so I didn't read it at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: