Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Microsoft describes its vision for a modern OS [48168]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Microsoft describes its vision for a modern OS [48168] Reply with quote

of the conference, Microsoft has published its usual blog post recapping the devices that its partners announced. But in the blog post, the firm also talked about its vision for a modern operating system. Microsoft said that for new, modern devices, we'll need a modern OS. The company outlined some ideas for the moder

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m$ vision of new OS:

1. Your printer no longer works
2. Your scanner no longer works
3. Your card reader no longer works
4. Your wacom sure as hell no longer works
5. Your camera is ALWAYS ON
6. Your internet is always ON (even when you turn it off)
7. Your keystrokes are recorded, so is everything you do (why should google have all marketing revenue the money?)
8. Pop-up Ads. Lot's of pop-up ads. Everywhere. For your (in)convenience, they are based on earlier collected data (see 7.), but will be ignored for hi bidders
9. Random background scheduled tasks start running and conflicting with each other. All the time. The more power your PC has, the more task are ran.
10. Random person from India remotely connects to your PC once a week, to offer help. He uses m$ Sam for speech engine unless you have a dedicated microphone and speakers set, then he speaks fluent English live.

Almost forgot to thank microsoft for stopping support for windows 10 phones. That's the way to go!
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
m$ vision of new OS:

1. Your printer no longer works
2. Your scanner no longer works
3. Your card reader no longer works
4. Your wacom sure as hell no longer works
5. Your camera is ALWAYS ON
6. Your internet is always ON (even when you turn it off)
7. Your keystrokes are recorded, so is everything you do (why should google have all marketing revenue the money?)
8. Pop-up Ads. Lot's of pop-up ads. Everywhere. For your (in)convenience, they are based on earlier collected data (see 7.), but will be ignored for hi bidders
9. Random background scheduled tasks start running and conflicting with each other. All the time. The more power your PC has, the more task are ran.
10. Random person from India remotely connects to your PC once a week, to offer help. He uses m$ Sam for speech engine unless you have a dedicated microphone and speakers set, then he speaks fluent English live.

Almost forgot to thank microsoft for stopping support for windows 10 phones. That's the way to go!

Thanks for the input from the peanut club. Everything you said is stupid and if it was for comedy, wasn't funny. 7, 8,9 are 10 are the sign of an idiot at the computer.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was fo real, unlike m$ saying that they want new windows always online, that was a joke for sure, Tom.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
No, I was fo real, unlike m$ saying that they want new windows always online, that was a joke for sure, Tom.

I don't like the idea too...but yeah, everything will be online (CLOUDED) one day. I'm afraid it's inevitable future.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The company outlined some ideas for the modern OS, never once mentioning Windows 10.

So, Win11 (or Winux 1) is coming sooner than expected.
Let's hope they do get their shit right this time.

As for cloud only: that won't fly for so many reasons.

BTW, if anyone's interested in the follow on the Windows 10 firewall question I posted here, here's what the developer had to say:
Quote:
In Windows 7 you can add the Windows Update service (wuauserv) in the Service property of a svchost.exe rule and it will work.
But, on Windows 8, Windows 10, this does not work anymore. On these operating systems, Windows Update related rules will not work with such a "service-hardening rule". For this reason, svchost.exe must be entirely allowed (ports 80, 443) when Windows Update checks/downloads new updates. I am sorry if this is not the answer you would expect, but this is how things are going on Windows 10.

So, in conclusion, it's a choice I have to make: either Windows Update or hardened Windows services. Hmmm.
I suppose it's hardened services and on each Patch Tuesday I need to unlock the firewall, allow svchost.exe and when the updates are all done, turn it back on.

I am still not sure why the connection errors get logged as blocks to these specific services though - that does sound like an OS issue, very misleading. Well, it's MS script kid quality all right...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again Csimbi, set your internet conn. as metered in network options, then in win update screen set to never auto update anything, and delay updates for 365 days. (you can prolong this after 365 days later)

PS. Setting it as metered only affects windows services, nothing else 3rd party or w/e.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that, thanks, but the goal is not to prevent "Windows Update" from working.
It's quite the opposite actually: I am aiming to prevent "everything else except Windows Update". (plus, the Store, but I ignored that for now)
Currently, that's not possible, so svchost.exe must be allowed (as per the guidance WFC dev above - which, I can confirm, does allow Windows Update to work, as advertised).
Problem is, once a hacker finds a way to tap into any of the running Window Services somehow (which should not be too hard given all the vulnerabilities being uncovered each month), they can do whatever they want with your PC.
MS did not plug this hole (or left it open with an intent to ...).
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can use windows updates, it will notify you if any are there but you have to to manually press the "download" button and that's it.

PS. Store is disabled if you disable DEP completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: