Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Monday reading - Is the PC Dead for Gamers? [19810]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Monday reading - Is the PC Dead for Gamers? [19810] Reply with quote

The last week of September contains yet another batch of games that are scheduled to ship to stores this week:

PC: Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport / Blitzkrieg 2 / Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2006: Trophy Season / Cold War / Day Of Defeat Source / Dragonshard / Hoyle ggmania 2006 /  MOTO GP 3 / NBA Live 0

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as PCs have Mouse+Keyboards, and as long as the consoles have "n00bsticks", PCs will never be dead for gamers Very Happy. There's a hundred other reasons too but they're too obvious to mention ;P.

By the way, don't you just love theese gamer-formated "sensationalistic" headlines? Very Happy :-&
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is the PS3 *WILL* have keyboard and mouse control in games!

http://www.sony-ps3-news.com/index.php?/archives/71-PS3-To-Feature-Keyboard-and-Mouse-Support.html

So what were you saying Laughing
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at that from a bright side; i'm hoping all those casual gamers because of which we are offered plug'n'play no brainer games are to learn something by using a complex tool such as a keyboard. :>
johnadaniels
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Gamming will never die!
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never will the PC gaming see its end (at least as long as the PC is called PC).
Just too many reasons for it to stay alive. No use to count them.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever.

Doomsayers have been projecting the death of PC gaming for 20 years. It hasn't happened yet, and it won't happen. Console games are targeted toward a less sophisticated market; it's how they make their money.

As for the PS3 keyboard, I've heard that song and dance before. From Mattel, in the early 1980's. Never did see anything other than a promotional photo of it.

Fact is, by the time the PS3 debuts, computers will be faster, better, and stronger. You can't design, build and market a packaged gaming console fast enough to outrun Moore's Law. It's a completely separate market, despite the best efforts of greedy developers to shovel console crappiness onto the PC in the form of half-baked ports.

Consoles simply can't hold a candle to PCs in power, precision, or versatility. And they never will, because if they catch up in all three of those areas, they've become PCs!
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what you all miss is COST. Not everyone is up for spending $600 all the time for a new video card on a yearly basis. I think none of you read that article or just made what you want to believe out of it. Fact is, a console costs significantly less than PC's. Learning curve is WAY shorter for a console and now the gfx in consoles almost surpasses that of PC. And don't start going, BS BS BS I can run my games at 1600x1200. GOOD for U... Too bad others aren't that retarded. Just cuz you can run a game at 1600x1200 doesn't substantiate the worth of a PC. PC is a money crazy market, gouging everywhere. ATI and nVidia are gouging us to our titties. Then look at the mobo and cpu? Intel charges nuts prices and AMD is not far off. PC's are a joke in terms of cost. As for keyboards, actually PS3 and Xbox 360 will have keyboards and mouse. Or so they claimed. At least I know from a friends who's hard-core Xbox 360 fanboy says it's an available option and you can cruise the net with an Xbox. Until video cards, new video cards, come down in purchase price. A console is going to appeal to new gamers more than a PC. Take a look at some of those games coming for Xbox, sorry but it blows PC away totally. I like that though, there are so many reasons PC's will continue but I wont count.. Pff... Ya there's a great arguement.. hahahaha!
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx has hit the nail on the head.
When you've been in this 'song and 'dance' called PC upgrading for 12years like i have and others, you quickly tire of throwing yearly Thousands of $$££ at it.
Your a MUG to say otherwise!
A keyboard and mouse *doesn't* make a PC any different from a console, those that think it does are being totaly annal Rolling Eyes
The XBox360 and PS3 will look superb on 42" HDTV -especialy with a load of mates and lots of beer -try that with a PC! Laughing

I'm quite happy to have ALL consoles in my life -apart from the GC, but's that's because of my age.

I'll tell you guys something though, PC games *HAVE* died. There's buggerall any decent flight sims made anymore -oh apart from MSFS and Oleg, but there was over a DOZEN 10years ago.
Quality of PC games are crap also now. Monkey Island,Sam & Max,Simon the Sorceror,Myst and Day of the Tentacle are classics that have never been superceded.
What about FULL sized PC boxes that **ACTUALY** contained a manual??? Not something that contained enough sheets to blow your nose in....
"consoles aimed at a less sophisticated market" what sort of pathetic darkened room did you find that statement? The last i looked (today) was that most folk at my work inc my manager had a console that they played. yep even guys into their 40s play consoles. You need to get your head out your egotisical black hole and open your eyes!

Yep some of you guys don't know nothing.
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Apathy Curve. I just don't see it happening.
Rasded
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason to get rid of PC gaming is to try to cut down on Game Piracy..Also..kill PC gaming what the hell would you want a PC for? I think Allot of companies are interested in this idea..Lets just hope it never happens.Not that I pirate games or anything (cough cough) I just cant see a world withought PC gaming..Who wants to sit in front of there TV with a mouse and keyboard..OKAY I will if its good.
nb411
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Stumpus

I hate it when oldskool gamers bitch about having a manual and the full sized box and how wonderful it was. The fact of the matter is that most games still come with a paper manual included or if not it's in the from of a .pdf. Somewhere along the line you forgot to consider the environmental impact of having full size cardboard boxes of emptiness and big thick manuals that could just as easily be read onscreen (because lets face it, no one reads a chunky manual cover to cover). I am glad they have essentially reduced waste in packaging and while I understand it's not going to change the world, every bit counts.

I think you have also misunderstood the "consoles aimed at a less sophisticated market" comment. This means that console gamers are generally looking for simplicity in both gameplay and setup. This may not be true for you but it most definately is for the majority of console gamers. And the majority of console gamers are casual gamers. As a console gamer you don't need to know how to install the game, or set the optimal resolution or make decisions about which video card best suits your gaming needs. You just turn it on, and you play.

Just because your manager plays halo once a week and some other guy you know likes burnout 3 and they happen to be older, absolutely and in no way proves that they are sophisticated gamers. What a dumb thing to say. Their worth as human beings are not in question so there's no need to get defensive.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see less fags that hack games on consoles. That alone is reason to go. Pfff, look at HL1 and HL2.. hacked and always hacked. Who needs it. Hey and you know what, an xbox 360 would be great with my 7.1 THX/DTS certified Pioneer System and 42" WD HDTV. Anyone see NHL 2006 for PC? Looks like complete shit compared to console. PC just don't matter much anymore.
lucas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasded wrote:
kill PC gaming what the hell would you want a PC for?

lets play "spot the 12 year old"
djdidge
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I have to comment....

Having seen my lan party crew dwindle to practically zero I have questioned my alleigance to the PC (for .68 seconds, which is an eternity for an android!)

Sure PCs cost more to stay top line, but in a few years when the XBOX360 and PS3 are still young in console terms, a new budget PC will easily compete, and ofcourse those paying a premium for a top of the line beast in two years will have the most powerful gaming machines available to the consumer market.

Consoles have their use and appeal, sociabilty is important as someone said, they are good when you have a load of mates round. Particuarly good for driving and fighting games, but as seasoned PC gamers will agree- poor for FPS. Hands up who has visited a friend and they have tried to get you to play unreal tournament on the XBOX (or something similar)...its like "erm, narr ill just watch you jostle with that controller!"

We could chat on this subject for ages but in answer to the question "Is the PC dead for gamers", I doubt it, and hope as much.

Anyone downloading games, remember to buy if you like, thats how you can keep this market afloat.

Regards,

DiDGE Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: