Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews - GeForce 8 Series to get PhysX [24940]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: TechNews - GeForce 8 Series to get PhysX [24940] Reply with quote

GeForce 8 Series to get PhysX - NVIDIA\'s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang revealed that they plan to use the PhysX game physics software from their just acquired company AGEIA and port it so it can run on GeForce 8 series GPUs
AMD close to falling on the auction block, says analyst - Today, eWeek quotes a research

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested in how this will turn out:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080214105804_Analyst_Expects_Nvidia_to_Acquire_AMD_Despite_of_Chances_to_Lose_x86_License.html
V-ampire
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmer wrote:
I'm really interested in how this will turn out:

Forget it. It's only and idea of Doug Friedman.

It's a lousy analyst, and American Technology Research has done a pityful job covering NVDA (nVidia) in the past.

I repeat: forget it.

The idea of using CUDA to implet AGEIA's API it's great, nevertheless.
V-ampire
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen-Hsun Huang

"We believe in heterogeneous computing and basically the CPU that’s already in your
system, it’s good enough. It’s fabulous. Billions and billions of dollars of R&D ha s gone into making that CPU as good as it can be
and for single-threaded applications, you know, I think it’s a -- the performance of the CPU is a miracle of mankind. I mean, it’s
fabulous.
But they’ll never scale very well from here on out and for the type of parallel applications that we believe are really interesting to
solve, and so the problem space that we focus on are all of the type of application s that require a lot of parallel processing
capability.
So we believe that the world needs a heterogeneous computing model where the single-threaded, flexible CPU is combined with or
collaborates with a massively parallel processor, in this particular case we call a GPU. And when we introduced CUDA, which
allows the GPU to be programmed with C and compiled to with a C compiler, we really, really opened up that computing paradigm
and it’s just because C developers don’t really want to program their problems in OpenGL and Direct 3D and C is a much more
natural approach for them.
And so heterogeneous computing includes the CPU and the GPU and in terms of answering maybe a related question about what
is the consumer mainstream application for GPU computing, physics is a really good example of the first one. Physics processing
is already in so many games, as you know, and it’s going to be in almost every single game in the future.
And all of a sudden, with physics on CUDA, we’re able to bring accelerated physics processing to every PC in the world. And so I
think CUDA and GPU computing, or heterogeneous computing, however you want to think through it, is -- this year will officially be
a consumer-oriented mainstream processing model."

These doesn't seem to me the word of someone interested in buying AMD to produce CPUs too.
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you forgetting that ATi is a part of AMD? I didn't know about that x86 license, but I thought as much that something is preventing them of getting AMD. Obviously AMD is in deep shit lately and determining the real value of that company is a bit more work.

In any case nVidia is exploding in the market. The only competitor they had was ATi and they are pretty much fked right now. They might not gonna buy it just to have no problems with the monopoly and stuff. Kinda reminds me of Microsoft and Borland(CodeGear). But nVidia is really strong right now; Mobile stuff, great platforms, and the game industry going stronger each day..it'll be interesting to see how this develops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: