Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Tweaking Skyrim Image Quality [31981]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Tweaking Skyrim Image Quality [31981] Reply with quote

The chaps over at HardOCP have published an interesting article on Tweaking Skyrim Image Quality. Here\'s a taster:

Now it\'s time to see everything all put together. We\'ve taken all of
the tweaks from the previous two pages and put them all in at once. In
SkyrimPrefs.ini, we have set the following commands:

b

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I set my FOV to 80 and these tweaks help a smidge. I just keep it on ultra and tried these tweaks and more and found it to be not worth the effort. They're right about putting crappy textures next to nice ones. It's kind of shocking and considering how graphics have been a focus for so many games and people it's absurd. Anyways by the time they correct this by either letting the community fix it or themselves most of us will have moved on.

I wasn't really all that excited about Skyrim coming out anyways as I prefer Witcher 2 Smile.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that graphics is no good out of the box and you need to be a geeky guy so you can fix it???
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Why is it that graphics is no good out of the box and you need to be a geeky guy so you can fix it???

I think you already know.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting article, but mostly full of crap.

uGridstoLoad should never be touched because it loads a perfectly acceptable amount of content whilst you're exploring outside. I used to tweak the hell out of Oblivion and all it did 99% of the time was overload the engine with AI scripts running in the background for Mobs/NPC's that you're not even close enough to interact with. I have little doubt that the engine is free from memory leaks, so it's best to stick with the default amount. I have already read reports that Skyrim's memory management isn't efficient enough to handle extra grids, which in-turn causes peculiar glitches such as NPC's spawning inside objects.

Also, iBlurDeferredShadowMask deals with the crispness of shadow edges, and anything above 12 will make shadows 3-4 metres ahead of you look awful, as if they have an exaggerated Depth of Field filter over them.

The problem with the engine is that the shadow resolution is directly affected by the fShadowDistance, so the smaller the shadow distance, the higher the resolution of the shadows being cast.
iShadowMapResolution=8192 seems to be the upper limit but it can cause flickering and other anomalies under certain lighting conditions.

This page has some great recommendations:

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/five-fast-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-guaranteed-to-make-your-game-look-even-better

I recommend these SkyrimPrefs.ini settings:

iShadowMapResolution=4096
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=2048 (or 4096 if you have a killer rig)
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.6000
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3

and the important one

fShadowDistance=4000.0000 (some people prefer 5000.0000)

It's worth noting these tweaks also, as they greatly increase the quality of water:

bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1
bReflectExplosions=1
iWaterBlurAmount=4
bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0
bForceHighDetailReflections=1

There's also a realistic texture mod for water and rain ripples already:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=711
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=603
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: