Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews-The Pirate Bay Will Stop Serving Torrents [32246]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: TechNews-The Pirate Bay Will Stop Serving Torrents [32246] Reply with quote

60/64 GB SSD Shootout: Crucial, Samsung, And
SandForce - If you have just enough room in your budget to
take a first step into the world of SSDs,

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Microsoft: Skype for Windows Phone coming 'soon'

Coupled with a good Nokia hardware this will kill crApple.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That review on the SSD's is more marketing of those companies. Why not review an Intel or an OCZ? Because they'd kick the ass of those SSD's. 60GB SSD? Why bother? for a Windows 7 or similar install with a lot of apps installed that you also want to be quick will cause you grief in a matter of months. You don't want to go much smaller than 100GB these days. OCZ and Intel currently have some good rebates going. I cashed in on a 90GB over the holidays for < $100. My Windows 7 64 bit loads in like 7 seconds to the desktop on a cold boot. 20+ apps installed, including office and MS Essentials and some 100+ games. Not bad at all. I must say, I could never see myself ever running Windows on a mechanical drive again. Once you get SSD there's no going back.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the idea was to review the budget drives. But. The fastest performer seems to do 70some MB/sec.
70some MB/sec speed is just not worth it; you are better off with a HDD...
Kompressor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the women they show here are usually kind of ugly, imo.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
I guess the idea was to review the budget drives. But. The fastest performer seems to do 70some MB/sec.
70some MB/sec speed is just not worth it; you are better off with a HDD...

SSD kicks ass but these are all over priced hunks of crap. You wait for a sale and get a Intel or OCZ. Got mine for $100 over holidays, there is no f'ing way I'd ever have a hdd as my boot drive. LOL! Linux drivers are getting really good too actually. I got this for $100 plus tax.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great deal (I missed it unfortunately).
I have been using Kingston drives thus far, for a few years now: started with SSDNow V100 40G, then V+100 64G and now I use a V+100 96G model. (40G in my Linux boxes [still use two of these], 64G and 96G in WinDOS boxes [put the older one to my wife's PC when I got the bigger one]).
I was looking at the Kingston V200 or the OCZ for the next build. No pressure, I'll buy them when they get cheap.
Ozieo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kompressor wrote:
Most of the women they show here are usually kind of ugly, imo.

That's quite normal imo, really gorgeous woman do not pose for some ugly photographer. (They have better things to do Wink

It's the nature of the beast, since Scarlet Johansson became world famous she transformed from some gorgeous piece into a cheap plastic doll. It seems like the majority of men really like plastic dolls for some reason.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kingston 128gb SSD runs fine and performs ok. It was 100 after rebate over a year ago. I currently have two OCZ vertex 3 sata 3 60gb SSD's striped as boot/game. Sata3 + two striped SSD is godlike. It's pricey not insane like it was but well worth it. Pick up a z68 board or the like on the cheap and an i5 or i7 and wait for something in a couple years to come along to make use of your system Smile. I have the Kingston on an old quad extreme and it boots as fast.

What we really need is for prices to go down on hard drives overall because I'm running out of freakin space. I want to build a 6-12TB NAS for my two wdtv live boxes but don't want to spend over five hundred on the god damn drives. Already picked up an R2 Array from Fractal and the rest of the comps to make this shit happen. I swear they are price whoring like big oil.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those men should buy their rubber maids in the nearest sex-store instead of stuffing living-breathing humans with silicone until they become rubber dolls.

Baconnaise wrote:
What we really need is for prices to go down on hard drives overall because I'm running out of freakin space. I want to build a 6-12TB NAS for my two wdtv live boxes but don't want to spend over five hundred on the god damn drives. Already picked up an R2 Array from Fractal and the rest of the comps to make this shit happen. I swear they are price whoring like big oil.

I have a 12TB NAS and I have been outta space for a few months now (missed the window before the prices went up). It was OK for a month or so, but now the memory cards in the camcorders and the cameras are full...

They pushed up the prices because they don't want the prices to fall too low before the new drives arrive - or else, the same thing would happen as it did in case of the DDR2 memory: a few manufacturers have to go out of business so the prices can pick up.
But. The US government/military can't let that happen because they would have to be using hardware made in China - so they step aside and let the prices go up in order to keep the manufacturers (that would normally drop off) in business.
It's that simple. With more and more hardware manufacturers moving to China, national security is becoming an issue, so it is increasingly political-driven.
A conspiracy theory fan might add that the excessive rain was in fact conjured by the US government.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
I want to build a 6-12TB NAS for my two wdtv live boxes but don't want to spend over five hundred on the god damn drives. Already picked up an R2 Array from Fractal and the rest of the comps to make this shit happen. I swear they are price whoring like big oil.

That's just retarded man. wtf is the point of that many movies? That's just senseless and expensive addiction you have. Don't even try and tell me thats home video. LOL! I'm no angel but I'm not stupid enough to build a collection so huge I'm buying hard drives to sustain it.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:

I have a 12TB NAS and I have been outta space for a few months now (missed the window before the prices went up). It was OK for a month or so, but now the memory cards in the camcorders and the cameras are full...

They pushed up the prices because they don't want the prices to fall too low before the new drives arrive - or else, the same thing would happen as it did in case of the DDR2 memory: a few manufacturers have to go out of business so the prices can pick up.
But. The US government/military can't let that happen because they would have to be using hardware made in China - so they step aside and let the prices go up in order to keep the manufacturers (that would normally drop off) in business.
It's that simple. With more and more hardware manufacturers moving to China, national security is becoming an issue, so it is increasingly political-driven.
A conspiracy theory fan might add that the excessive rain was in fact conjured by the US government.

12TB NAS another video addict? 12TB NAS full in a month? Not to mention one is like 2 grand! I have a hard time believing that man. I just don't want too.. haha

But ya not sure on any conspiracies, I'd leave that for you know who...Sucks big time because I need a drive but the price is crazy. The whole thing is stupid, that we would knowingly depend on a place known for flooding. Duh! That's just stupid every time I think about it. Then for the climate morons who jump on all of it. Give me a gun ya know...
Kompressor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's trying to backup the Internet.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Baconnaise wrote:
I want to build a 6-12TB NAS for my two wdtv live boxes but don't want to spend over five hundred on the god damn drives. Already picked up an R2 Array from Fractal and the rest of the comps to make this shit happen. I swear they are price whoring like big oil.

That's just retarded man. wtf is the point of that many movies? That's just senseless and expensive addiction you have. Don't even try and tell me thats home video. LOL! I'm no angel but I'm not stupid enough to build a collection so huge I'm buying hard drives to sustain it.

The space isn't just for movies. I do have Wii backups, applications, restore images, and more. I own the ST:TNG series boxed set and a copy of it on my drives. It takes up two hundred gigs alone. I own the Seinfeld set as well and it eats up mucho space. The amount of space the kid shows take gets up there too.

WDTV Live boxes allow me to stream those shows to any TV in my house with a remote. I don't have to burn DVD's anymore nor change discs out. The Blu-ray versions in mkv format play just fine and look fine as well. The convenience of allowing my brats to watch their shows without ruining the DVD's or losing is huge.

I think quite a few people do something similar like this already anyways. What's so odd about this?
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
Kompressor wrote:
He's trying to backup the Internet.

12TB is nothing Very Happy

Facebook uses hundreds of petabytes if I recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: