Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews-The Pirate Bay Will Stop Serving Torrents [32246]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing gained putting a TV show series which has a number of episodes on disc on a hard drive. ST:TNG? God that was the gayest of gayest ST. Fucking bald captain a lousy Klingon and what was the second in command, like the worst actor ever. The only thing that was good on that show was Data and even he got worse in the movies. Thank god they rebooted that show.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
heretic wrote:
Kompressor wrote:
He's trying to backup the Internet.

12TB is nothing Very Happy

Facebook uses hundreds of petabytes if I recall.

Now THAT'S a waste of space!!!

@Tom:

SSD manufacturers have a limited choice pool of nand chips and controllers available so they are all mainly going for the two fastest types that differ in some small things. There is no point in reviewing every SSD out there. They can use synchronous or asynchronous NANDs three types of controllers and that's about it. Whether SSD is 200/200mb/s or 400/400mb/s makes a little difference in the working experience let alone 380 vs 500mb/s. Once you close that crystalmark od HDtune, you won't know which one are you using if you were to be put on blind AB test, as long as the drive isn't really shitty and behaving like USB flash drive lol.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more to it but ya, there is TRIM support too that is important. While it may support trim it may not support the right things. There's NCQ too. I was tossing around buying one for a long time and from lots that I read, Intel and OCZ are kick ass, performance and reliability.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every new SSD has trim, and usually NCQ, which is not really that important.

Intel SSD used to be worst of the bunch, I don't know how they perform today. This test of 60/64gb ssds will generally tell you what is going on and how SSDs differ today, you just need to read the introduction and not just look at the scores. When you understand which controller does what with what kind of configuration of NANDs, how many channels and how many NANDs per channel etc, you will be able to pick similar, almost identical SSDs, out of the bunch no matter who made them. Everything is explained in the article.
Quite frankly, which ever newer one you pick, ones you are past the crystal mark and other synthetics you'll be happy. They are all blazing fast and I wouldn't bang my head on the wall over it. I'd just take cheapest one with long warranty and basic functions such as trim and garbage collector. Everything else is way less important. Something like whether you use CL6 or CL9 ddr3 memory and you are not using your rig for competitive benchmarking.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Csimbi wrote:

I have a 12TB NAS and I have been outta space for a few months now (missed the window before the prices went up). It was OK for a month or so, but now the memory cards in the camcorders and the cameras are full...

They pushed up the prices because they don't want the prices to fall too low before the new drives arrive - or else, the same thing would happen as it did in case of the DDR2 memory: a few manufacturers have to go out of business so the prices can pick up.
But. The US government/military can't let that happen because they would have to be using hardware made in China - so they step aside and let the prices go up in order to keep the manufacturers (that would normally drop off) in business.
It's that simple. With more and more hardware manufacturers moving to China, national security is becoming an issue, so it is increasingly political-driven.
A conspiracy theory fan might add that the excessive rain was in fact conjured by the US government.

12TB NAS another video addict? 12TB NAS full in a month? Not to mention one is like 2 grand! I have a hard time believing that man. I just don't want too.. haha

But ya not sure on any conspiracies, I'd leave that for you know who...Sucks big time because I need a drive but the price is crazy. The whole thing is stupid, that we would knowingly depend on a place known for flooding. Duh! That's just stupid every time I think about it. Then for the climate morons who jump on all of it. Give me a gun ya know...

Perhaps I was not clear. I had that NAS for a long time; started out as a 8TB array and was good enough for 4-5 years, then I had to expand to 12TB and it's been getting full over the last few months.
No, it's not only home video. But I did not say it was. I have copied my entire DVD collection - 620ish about half are double-disk releases (Matrix alone is 10 disks) - including high-res cover scans, same with all audio CDs, and all PC games that I own, even the GOG ones. Then, I have backups from all PCs every now and then. That's two Linux boxes, two windows boxes and a laptop. You do the math. So, about half of the allocated space is not home video.
I've had digital camera for about 6 years, HD camcorder for about 3 years. Get one of each and keep them pointed at the family; you will see that it can eat disk space up just as fast as your illegal crap; maybe even faster because most of the illegal crap you said (in another thread) you delete once you checked it.

I have to agree. 12TB is nothing when a single HD recording is 4Gbs.

BTW, I do download movies every now and then - but I am very picky and I do the same thing like you do: delete as soon as I watched it.

Yes, I know YouKnowWho, but he shall remain unnamed because I don't want to turn the thread into flaming.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to collect VHS, then rip them and copy them to CDs later, then CDs to DVDs, then find all those movies I had on VHS on DVD again, collect DVDs, tons of them, DVDs, xvid, DivX, collection with over 10.000 CDs and DVDs. Then came the HD. I couldn't bare to watch those awful 140p or 240p videos on large TVs any longer, thus, rendering my collection pretty much worthless. I dumped all of it. Quality is just sub-par to be watchable back then, not to mention today. That's when I learned - never hoard stuff, it's just gonna be dumped one day when better stuff kicks in. My friend collected music in 128bit mp3 when 320GB hdd was like 2TB today. He managed to amass a collection of over 8TB (try and calculate how much hdds he had to buy, each 320gb, each with the price of 1tb today). Guess what happened? He found out he likes music very much, got a 5000+ $ stereo, FLAC and APE came along and he pretty much just erased all those drives and sold them. He couldn't listen to those mp3 files. He called it "utter junk that hurts his ears".

So I can pretty much bet that something new, such as 3D movies, or something else is going to replace regular 720p/1080p content and all those collections are gonna be dumped sooner or later.

NEVER hoard stuff. It's bad in so many different ways.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. First there was DivX, then came XviD, now it's x264.
Always the same stuff, using different codecs. Don't bother.

Family stuff is going to end up with the same faith eventually - but it's worth hoarding at least, for remembering the moments that you never gonna to live again.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, family stuff is different and the usage of that stuff depends on families. I get bored with that stuff quickly but I guess I am going to appreciate it if get to turn 70+ years lol
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow....this is my next drive...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227768&Tpk=OCZ%20Octane%20SATA%203%20512GB

Just have to wait till it hits 300 mark, maybe next Christmas. Wink

gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x256 in raid 0 perhaps cheaper + a bit faster and THIS year? Razz
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
well, family stuff is different and the usage of that stuff depends on families. I get bored with that stuff quickly but I guess I am going to appreciate it if get to turn 70+ years lol

That is indeed a good point. I wanted to delete half of the rubbish - unfocused, badly lit, blurry stuff - but my wife does not let me. So, I have to keep even the junk...

Tom wrote:
Anyhow....this is my next drive...

Just have to wait till it hits 300 mark, maybe next Christmas. Wink

The price tag is way over my budget. I would give 200 for it max.

BTW, you do realize that the picture you posted is wrong, right?
The left side looks like theft all right, but the right side is not definitely not piracy - merely a single copy. If you want to draw piracy accurately, you would have to draw many many copies and a *bling* next to each (*bling* representing the money earned from selling the copies).
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracy does not mean selling copies. Don't thank me for that, thank the companies. Wink

PS. Who da f*uck buys pirated content of the street?!?!?! Even Nigeria has internet connection....
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few pictures and videos of the family which takes up about half a terabyte since thousands of images are raw at 3-5mb or more. Videos besides the really old vhs-c conversions are 720p from a camera I bought the wife and those sizes are fairly decent.

Agreed on deleting movies and removing them. I haven't really kept a collection since DVD/SVCD/VCD days where I burned everything. I only keep what I find worth watching repeatedly. TNG for example and all shows like Babylon 5 Earth Above and Beyond DS9 are all owned but I keep them on the drives. Kids shows I keep since I sometimes have to burn them over and over due to a disc getting lost or broken between the evil children. Once they grow out of it or lose interest then it goes bye bye.

gx-x wrote:
Piracy does not mean selling copies. Don't thank me for that, thank the companies. Wink

PS. Who da f*uck buys pirated content of the street?!?!?! Even Nigeria has internet connection....

I used to get stolen goods off the street all the time in Chicago. Bulls would win a championship and I would get a ton of shirts off the guys at the museum or wherever that basically stole some boxes off a truck. Dudes actually sell watches and shit hanging off coat no lie. This includes videos you can pick up season sets on the cheap sometimes (I haven't personally).
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stolen goods is another thing I would say....I was talking about the dudes with boxes that contain downloaded TS copies or screeners at best, burned copies, and selling them on the streets. You might not even get the movie that poorly printed cover suggests it's in there lol xD
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:

Do not forget that the term piracy was invented when - in the beginning of times - the internet was not a common perk and software was copied physically and the copies were distributed on the streets (on tapes or disks).
So, make no mistake, piracy still exists - it's just taken up a different form. A good example is pay-sites (torrent, sms/ftp, and online stores like rapidshare, ad-sponsored link sites, etc), etc.
Piracy is when someone, somewhere makes a living by providing the possibility of obtaining free copies (that's what piracy really is). It's just that the media industry is a bit greedy and would like to extend that term beyond what piracy really is (making all downloads from the internet piracy - which it is not!). Countries with high quality of life and respect to human values (Sweden, Finland) realized this long ago. US is far behind (and not only the media giants are to blame). China and Russia? There's quite a bit of people in these two countries that actually make a living on cracking software/media and selling/redistributing it one way or another; so, no need to comment on these two.
BTW, if you go to China, you can still participate in old-school piracy - buy a Hollywood movie on the street for a few dollars (yes, on disk). Movies older than 6 months are 1 dollar, new movies can be even 5 in some extreme cases. I saw a guy selling movies on USB sticks already. I guess this is the future because it is easy to hide and nowadays very cheap. Since I did not buy, I will never know what's on the stick though - but when you buy into piracy, you are always taking that risk.

BTW, there are countries where they put additional tax on various storage media (cd, dvd, hard disks, memory cards). They claim that they collect these taxes for intellectual property and the money collected is redistributed to the artists. So, it means that ordinary users that download content from the internet are a calculated risk - and all the individual downloads are actually paid for. That's another reason why individual downloads cannot be considered piracy (it's the artist making the money, not somebody else).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: