Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

PS4 and Xbox 720 must go digital or face extinction [33219]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: PS4 and Xbox 720 must go digital or face extinction [33219] Reply with quote

By Tamoor Hussain for CVG UK David Darling, co-founder of Codemasters and currently CEO of social game studio Kwalee, has said Microsoft and Sony need to transition to fully digital consoles if they want to survive the next cycle:

Sony and Microsoft cannot let the retailers dictate game prices going forwards if they

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
zarlin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm well funny thing is today digital games cost more than the retail version of a game...ahh i don't get it Question
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the media in general is to flood the user with all kind of crap, shit and bullshit information to misinform and confuse him.
This is what is happening. They tell you everything but at the end they go deep in your pocket Laughing
Majnun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the guy is only half a fool.

Someday what he's saying will be true, but it sure ain't gonna be with the next console cycle.

Those $2 games are $2 for a reason.

If there's going to be an IPad or Android version of GTAV (or whatever) that's the same game as the PS4/Xbox version but only costs $15 (or whatever) then yeah he's right. But that sure as hell ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

I'm also pretty sure Microsoft & Sony are smart enough to somehow join in the $1-$5 shit game/app frenzy with their next consoles. But who the hell wants to play one of those ugly ass games blown up on a huge screen?
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, this will kill consoles.
Ozieo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't kill consoles at all. The more hardware-choice-spaghetti the PC gets, the more consoles will benefit.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, really? You turn on you console when you want to play (or you want to play a different game because your little sister wiped out your battlefield 1000 in favour of Barby) and you get one of these:
- sorry, your internet is down
- plz wait 8 hours to play
- etc
If that does not make you throw away your console, I don't know what would.

I like PC spaghetti; keeps prices low.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya whatever... That's why we have $700 video cards, $500 cpu's, Windows OS's that cost well over $100, $100 keyboards and mice, $500 pc digital speakers because it keeps prices are low.

=-=

I agree with consoles having to go digital but there are a lot of barriers out there that prevent it from happening, it's not realistic to say this is the wave that the future of console depends on. I don't see this being any crucial time for console. We still have bluray out there and drives are needed to keep with our not so dead old technologies, dvd and cd. Ma and Pa aren't going to run out to store and buy a htpc and rip or download their media. Not everyone has cable, not everyone can download to their hearts content because greedy providers have put caps on their service.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once people can be constructive Wink
I totally agree, go digital and they will control when and what you do with the console. Like what is already being imposed on PC gaming as regards DRM , internet control and what and when you can play so and mp.
It turns into an Apple product. No hdd, sd card slot, usb everything tied to an
Internet store/data base.
I agree with tom, a PC is hardly what you would call a games machine per se.
Why would you pour several thousands just to play a digital game or a Game, full stop! Its absurd. Cut out graphics and a console and a PC play the same game, yet can cost a tenth less for the console. Nuts concept.
I personally will pay digital pennies for my phone or tablet for games - GTA III is bloody excellent on tablet.
Regards gaming on PC or console? If it continues its digital decline and ultimately control of the gamer; like MS ,Apple etc. I'm out.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one way to look at PC spaghetti. The other way is this (my way): I did not spend 1400CAD on a comp to play games.
I spent 1200CAD to buy a decent PC so I can work on it without getting aggravated over the wait times that WinDOS can't seem to avoid on mid-performer PCs.
And I spent another 200CAD to buy a 400CAD video card instead of a 200CAD video card so I could play games on it, too.
You see, I would have spent the 1200CAD anyway, I might as well play games on it. In HD (yes, real HD). Without limitations (what, when, with whom, etc).

Yes, there are hopeless chaps out there whose sole purpose in life is to get 1 more FPS than their buddy and to make sure it happens, they spend thousands of dollars to buy all the latest gadgets. But these people are not to blame. Their parents are.

You also need to realize that it's not about distribution and its costs. If it were, online games would be 1/10th the price of retail games. It's about tying a great deal of citizens to their platform as long as possible.
Basically, you are opening the door to:
- being a subscriber instead of a customer
- monitoring all your gaming and possibly other activities (what do you play, watch, listen to, when, with whom, what do you talk about),
- being a subject for advertisements.
They are making it a very sweet deal in the beginning, I am sure. And once they have enough, they start milking the cow.

I can only hope time will prove me wrong.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard about an interesting ruling in the EU. Press release here.
Now anyone can sell their used software and the new owner will be entitled to all rights as the original person licensing the software (including their updates) disregarding what the license agreement states. Needless to say, it includes all software; game, a business/productivity software or anything the like, disregarding the media upon which it was distributed.
Cool. Should ensure that at least people in the EU can sell their used software to each other. Should make XBox online systems happy.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:

ya whatever... That's why we have $700 video cards, $500 cpu's, Windows OS's that cost well over $100, $100 keyboards and mice, $500 pc digital speakers because it keeps prices are low.

=-=

so what? as long as there are customers for that, they will make that. You dont need it. Like you dont need Ferrari, 50" 3D TV etc. Sheep are there to provide wool. As long as there are sheep - there will be wool cutters Very Happy

Dont even get me started on various crap that people buy because they are bored or want to have something better then their neighbor does.

besides, tell me again, how much was PS3 when it got out? How much is stupid GT5 game? How is that any better compared to a 100$ mice (someone here even bought that ugly rat mice, I think it was you, what a waste of money).

I give around 100e per YEAR to upgrade my PC. I sell old parts, buy newer used parts and whoila. Some parts I buy new if price is ok. There isnt a game out there that my system cant play in full HD in at least 30fps on maximum or close to max. settings (excluding ridiculous amounts of AA which are just for bragging).

system:
i3 2100 (payed 90eur 8 months ago)
gigabyte Z68 mb (90eur 8 months ago)
8 gigs of ddr3 (50eur)
gtx 560 (got it for warranty for my gtx460 (110eur), and soon I will be getting 560Ti instead of this one, not that I need it anyway)
My PC case is some Chieftec LBX 10 or more years old, perfectly fine, PSU is chieftec modular 750W (got it as replacement for 650W one that I bought 7 years ago for 55 eur)
mice and keyboard are some logi laser wireless 20eur and keyboard is wireless 10eur.

all in all, my whole system costs less then PS3 and does everything better then PS3 (except being as portable).

The problem lies in people that think that you HAVE TO HAVE all newest and most powerfull parts. YOU DONT!
zarlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna get away sometimes from the real world were big brother is all over you , and go into a fantasy world and have a free space ...BUT that seems history more and more really sad with all this "Lookout we are watching you" tho still have the toilet as one of the best freespace left
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarlin wrote:
Just wanna get away sometimes from the real world were big brother is all over you , and go into a fantasy world and have a free space ...BUT that seems history more and more really sad with all this "Lookout we are watching you" tho still have the toilet as one of the best freespace left

That's what I said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: