Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Microsoft to Block Non-Windows Store Apps in Win10? [42840]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Microsoft to Block Non-Windows Store Apps in Win10? [42840] Reply with quote

Could windows 10 be going on full device-style lockdown, requiring you
to use apps from the Windows Store? Beta News reports, this is only an option which
can be enabled should you so desire, and while it is in the current
preview version of the Creators Update coming this year, there is no
indication if it will be

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different than Android.

Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go.
Another nail in the coffin.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way Microsoft implements this as anything more than an option for the foreseeable future. Yes they are pushing the Windows Store. Yes they will continue to push UWP apps. And yes we may eventually end up at a point where all of your software comes from the Windows Store. However that won't happen for an age and chances are there will be ways around it.
Kompressor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use store apps. Why use an app when you can just install software the old fashioned way? This is a computer, not a phone.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's actually for managed PCs so IT admins can lock it down.
Not for home PCs.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
There you go.
Another nail in the coffin.

In your coffin? Good. Nasty smell coming from your coffin.

Honestly don't care, it's a non-story. Just like Google app store there is a lot of shit in the store. Fake apps, viruses. Just another story for the haters to hate some more.

Apple does the same.. so this is nothing but a haters news story.

Quote:
If the setting sounds familiar, it is because Apple has a virtually identical set of controls for OS X. The Mac "Gatekeeper" mechanism allows users to limit the installation of new apps to only what is available on the Mac App Store, rather than any app with a valid developer certificate. (Gatekeeper is far from perfect.)
TENGILL
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about this thing the kids are using, Linux was it?

O and one more thing, there is a Microsoft App Store?
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENGILL wrote:
So about this thing the kids are using, Linux was it?

O and one more thing, there is a Microsoft App Store?

Linux as a business OS no prob. As a gaming platform. Dream on. And for the record, kids aren't using Linux. It's too hard for them because they're all lazy, a gameboy, android or console will suffice.
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would mean that both Steam and Origin would no longer work, to put this in perspective. I'm sure Microsoft would love to publish all the games and make even more of the money, but there's no realistic chance this will happen anytime soon.

Even Microsoft can go too far. If all the gaming studios stop making Windows games, the home market for Windows is going to get savaged. I for one run Windows 100% because I game at home. If I didn't, I'd already be on Linux.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorcro2000 wrote:
This would mean that both Steam and Origin would no longer work, to put this in perspective. I'm sure Microsoft would love to publish all the games and make even more of the money, but there's no realistic chance this will happen anytime soon.

Even Microsoft can go too far. If all the gaming studios stop making Windows games, the home market for Windows is going to get savaged. I for one run Windows 100% because I game at home. If I didn't, I'd already be on Linux.

Are you on acid?
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorcro2000 wrote:

Are you on acid?

Quote:
The feature, noticed by Twitter user @vitorgrs (below) is disabled by default, so it won't bother you unless you search for it and turn it on. It might be incredibly annoying to power users, as it would block Photoshop, Firefox and other desktop apps. it could be a boon for your parents or grandparents, though, as it'll stop them from accidentally installing bloatware or other problematic apps.

Microsoft already blocks unknown Windows 10 software from being installed with a message that "the publisher could not be verified." However, it's relatively easy for bad actors to get around that and users can just bypass the error message.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when installation was not required to run programs.
All you had to do was unzip, run a config tool and you were good to go.
The only thing that should require installation is you OS.
All this installation nonsense was introduced by Microsoft to "cater for the needs of the end users and the industry".
To this day, IT pros can manage very well (if not better) without these installers.
Steam does not use installers; they download compressed data, unpack it and they run the game's config tool - same as in the good old days.
Portable apps have been around for quite a while and they work perfectly as well.
I guess installation-free distribution mechanisms will make an even bigger comeback one of these Microsoft-fuckup-days.

I think kids - well, the techsavvy ones - will haul their entire environment around on USB sticks (that is, OS, apps, games, mails, bookmarks, saved games and just about everything), plug into the nearest PC and boot from that and work/game.
That way, parents would never find anything on their PCs and think that their kids are okay.
My programs don't run? No probs, dad, I boot from my stick.
BIOS password? Let me just reset the CMOS real quick.
There, all the tools Microsoft, mom/dad or your company IT invested in, circumvented in one fell swoop.
You know what I found to be the best way to make the kids do their homework? Disable Wi-Fi and unplug their patch cable from the router. Works like a charm.

Anyway, taking that "my environment travels with me" idea a step forward.
If Microsoft were smart and less greedy (which they aren't), they'd allow Windows 10 phones to be plugged into PCs and boot the phone OS on the PC hardware.
If it were all Windows 10 as they claimed, all my stuff would travel with me and I could work/play more or less anytime/anywhere.
Heck, they could even use the phone's processor for CPU/GPU offloading.
(But we know that it's not going to work because the phone W10 is not the same as the PC W10; that's only the marketing piece. Plus, MS is not smart enough. And then, there's their greed - which really is the biggest problem.)
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a good amount of what you say. It would be nice not to have installers and that Windows was more 'modular' in that you can easily enable games rather than install them and add lots of BS to a "registry". If you could just go delete BF1 directory and the game was gone, that would be great. You could literally swap drives with your batch of games on it. Sadly, you can't even do this on linux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: