Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Nightly Tech Madness [16217]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Nightly Tech Madness [16217] Reply with quote

Microsoft prepares for mobile virus battle - Besides ring tones and wallpapers, you could soon be downloading virus definitions over the airwaves as part of Microsoft's defence against a possible mobile phone virus outbreak. To allay such fears, Microsoft has built multiple security features in

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
madda
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Music On Car Radios Meant Only For Original Vehicle Owner" = OMG, this is just getting ridiculous now!! I cant believe they are going to do this, its gotta be a wide-up!!

"Wallpaper designed to protect Wi-Fi networks" = I would love this stuff, if only the price was a tad less!! I still think my neighbour is nicking my wireless broadband connection!! Smile

"Off-topic: Beastie Boys CD user protected, fans angry" = I wonder how long it will take unti lthis copy protection is cracked, or perhaps it already is!! The industry is wasting money on trying to secure CDs, because there are millions of intelligent coders out there that are just waiting for the challenge to crack yet another copy protection scheme!!

"Internet speed record smashed" = Running at 4.23Gbps!! I would love that connection here, but the max that anyone can get as a home connection is 1.5Mbps downstream and 256Kbps upstream Sad That annoys me a hell of alot

"Production of 16x DVD+RW burners may be delayed" = This is blatently just a stalling tactic because the maximum burn speed is 16x for DVDs, they are just hoping that every lamen buys their current drives, then when they release the 16x ones they will think they have to upgrade and will buy a new one, and these companies will make more money! Or is that just me being sinicle?? Smile
CoCaine
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its satire man...... be easy, its a joke... its pushing fun at the recent idiot moves the riaaiaa (whatever) has made...
little_bloke
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Music and Copy Protection Reply with quote

Among other things I am a sound Engineer, and I know the effort that is involved in the creation of ANY recording that is published.

I also know that the recording industry (at least in England) is seriously screwed..

That said, I also believe that the record industry is approaching the whole situation in completely the wrong way...

NO amount of protection will work.. I mean hell, if you want to copy some audio of any kind all you got to do is take the audio 'out' on your soundcard or system or whatever and route it directly to a recording medium... like your audio 'in'. sure it might not be as convenient as mp3 but it'll still works, and if you take the time you can end up with MP3's no problem.

for me the issues lies deep within the 'industry' its self, music is buy its very nature a diverse creative medium... and unfortunately the 'industry' seems to be pddling a great deal of PAP music. with no long term considerations.

(I'm taliking predominantly about the UK here)

I for one enjoy a variety of music and the bands I listen to and respect, I buy there albums (perhaps not the singles, but i have never brought them) out of respect for the band, and because there is something to be said for 'owning' the music that you love.

Instead of clamping down on potential customers and diluting the vast and diverse potential of creative musicians; ending up with banal pap. The music industry should do its best to grow and adapt to new technology and new culture or it will die.

To be honest if the music industry did completely go under, we would see a resurgence of diverse independent labels that no-doubt would offer much more variety than today’s monolithic entertainment giants do... so... ultimately it doesn't matter to me...

I can’t loose…!

People have ALWAYS copied music… it’s not the COPYING that is the problem… it’s the music.
tigermonk
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's many ways to go about the whole issue.

for example, without being able to download music off the internet, i would never have found out about what is now my absolute favorite band, and would never have payed $25 to see them in concert when they came through.

so they did in fact make a profit.

and ever since then i've made every effort to catch up on buying all their albums. (they have alot so it'll take time and money that i don't have right now).

but the thing is, if i never downloaded their albums, i never would have payed to see them in concert and never would have bought any of their albums.

ironic i guess.
tigermonk
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: Bill, you're sponsering an F1 team? that's so cool of you. Very Happy
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madda wrote:
"Internet speed record smashed" = Running at 4.23Gbps!! I would love that connection here, but the max that anyone can get as a home connection is 1.5Mbps downstream and 256Kbps upstream Sad That annoys me a hell of alot

wow, three consecutive threads and each one, you're the moron who stands out for flaming. if the fastest connection anyone can get at home is 1.5Mbps, why is my DSL modem rated for 8Mbps? or my friends cable RUNNING at 10Mbps? or loads of peoples VDSL connections in Japan running at 40+Mbps? you certainly are doing a nice job making yourself look like a jackass, stating the "facts"
madda
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wow, three consecutive threads and each one, you're the moron who stands out for flaming. if the fastest connection anyone can get at home is 1.5Mbps, why is my DSL modem rated for 8Mbps? or my friends cable RUNNING at 10Mbps? or loads of peoples VDSL connections in Japan running at 40+Mbps? you certainly are doing a nice job making yourself look like a jackass, stating the "facts"

where are my consecutive threads??

i realise that the fastest in other countries is prolly more than 1.5Mbps, but here in the UK that is the fastest that we can get!! I thought this was obvious.

I could slag you off for being such a sanctamonious arsehole, but instead I will just say that you shouldnt really slag people off all the time, you will just end up getting ur arse beaten to shit! Smile
lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madda wrote:

where are my consecutive threads??

the previous three i posted in

madda wrote:

i realise that the fastest in other countries is prolly more than 1.5Mbps, but here in the UK that is the fastest that we can get!! I thought this was obvious.

Bzzzt!!! wrong and wrong. firstly, http://www.bulldogdsl.com/residential/home.asp theres a UK ISP offering 6MB dsl, and secondly you said "I would love that connection here, but the max that anyone can get as a home connection is 1.5Mbps downstream and 256Kbps upstream". which part of that even implies UK? you've blatently said no on can get a home connection faster than 1.5MB which is so false its not funny.

madda wrote:

I could slag you off for being such a sanctamonious arsehole, but instead I will just say that you shouldnt really slag people off all the time, you will just end up getting ur arse beaten to shit! Smile

bite me
BLOODUK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muahaha @ joke
madda
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted three times because you slagged me off in all 3, hence i had to reply!

regarding broadband connections, those speeds are only available to central london home connections, i was saying 1.5MBps is the 'common' maximum available for home connections, which doesnt mean you have to live in london to receive it!

these forums were great until you turned up!
lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madda wrote:

these forums were great until you turned up!

I see up the top it says:
Gameguru Mania
FlameWars

If you cant handle the heat, fuck off Razz
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said, madda is a spammer. i was gonna characterize him like many do here as a 12 year old but "sanctamonious" is a big word to use. so he's just an older guy with no much more to do in his life but post a crap load, and he does know everything! guess it's a hobby for some to be #1 on the forum post count whatever that gets you. it's a little weird cuz would you hear a grownup say "you will just end up getting ur arse beaten to shit!". pretty strange, but lets give a round of applause for his post count. he doubles the ggmania news robot and nearly triples everyone in post count!! wooo for madda! man i wish i had your spare time in life. must be nice.
Samadama
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@little_bloke,

I completly agree with you, I have been doing exactly that since I was 17 years old. It doesn't really take that much effort. I have converted many cassetts in to cds and Mp3.

There is no may for them to stop this. In a sense I think it is good what they are doing, atleast they are losing money. Which is were it hurts them the most. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: