Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 7 users won't let go of the aging OS [47987]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 users won't let go of the aging OS [47987] Reply with quote

ing out courtesy reminders last month. These contain a link to pages that offer advice on how to prepare for Windows 7's last days and encourage people to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new PC.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Penetreitor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: I've tried Reply with quote

I've tried several times to switch to W10, but I don't want to lose control over my PC, I don't want forcefull updates, I don't want the OS don't allow me to decide my firewall rules (or override them), I don't want the OS perform activities without MY AUTHORIZATION.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something needs to be said about this. Windows 10 has made some tangible improvements over its predecessors, but most of those are under the hood kernel performance optimizations/security enhancements that are largely invisible to the average user and for that matter, average use cases.

Unfortunately, most of the noticeable changes in Windows 10 have resulted in a severe downgrade of user experience. The perpetual beta experience being one of them, along with UI changes that make navigating the OS less intuitive (more clicks required), broken features, and just all around dumb things like bundling even the Pro version of the OS with crapware like Candy Crush.

My customers often ask me this question: "Mr Radek, why my 6-7 years old notebook (i3, SSD, 8GB RAM) with Windows 7 Pro + SSD runs much better than new expensive powerfull notebook (i5, SSD, 8GB RAM) with Windows 10 Pro?" It's really hard to exaplain sometime.

Besides try this, take a new installed PC with Windows 10 OS and start it..and..during booting process few times press reset button. The result? Dead OS Smile I want to say, I'm suprised how often Window 10 completely crashes on customer's computers...nothing like Windows 7 which I installed and never heard about customer again many years.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, people are just fucking stupid and they listen to other stupid fucking clueless people. That's all. I have not had a single problem with W10. You two just need to grow a pair and quit your fucking whining like babies. And most of all you're tiring.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Windows 7 users won't let go of the aging OS

Of course they won't.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Why should anyone cash out money for something or go into the trouble to migrate to a new platform that has no value to them?
Nobody sane installs a new OS just to get a new version of a web browser.
I pay for proven value, or install a new OS because I see value in it and not because someone is yapping about something that in his/her opinion might be a better choice for me (which, is usually not the case).
Same as with games.

For the record, I do have a batch of VL licenses (yes, legal, got them dirt cheap, about 8 euros per license) so when the time does come, I can switch everyone here.
But so far, it ain't worth it to me or anyone else in this building.
That's the general consensus around here, whether Microsoft likes it or not.
So, yeah, I fully agree with NetMarketShare's assessment.
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 10 is actually a really great OS. Stable, fast, nice feature set, etc. The only downside is the pervasive spying and the way Microsoft plays fast and loose with quality, the Win 10 Home users are their beta testers. Literally. Stuff gets released to the Win 10 Home users first to see if it breaks, and if it doesn't, some months later it hits the corporate users.

If Microsoft hadn't turned it into spy central and taken away people's control (although you can claw some back with stuff like W10Privacy) it would no doubt be hugely more popular. Because the OS itself is, as I said, very nice to use even though it's only halfway through its shape shift to the new look and feel.

Personally if I were on Windows 7 and needed an upgrade from there, I'd just go Linux. KDE Plasma is pretty damned awesome, and gaming on Linux is progressing in leaps and bounds, because people want out from under Microsoft's yoke.
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
Besides try this, take a new installed PC with Windows 10 OS and start it..and..during booting process few times press reset button. The result? Dead OS Smile I want to say, I'm suprised how often Window 10 completely crashes on customer's computers...nothing like Windows 7 which I installed and never heard about customer again many years.

Since Windows 10 doesn't come fully installed and only installs itself when you start your new computer, doing resets in the middle of the installation process is pretty damned silly. Anyone who does that on purpose just to test things is not being very clever. If you do hardware resets in the middle of a Linux or MacOS install as well I can almost guarantee you'll do real damage to that install and have to start over.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorcro2000 wrote:
heretic wrote:

Since Windows 10 doesn't come fully installed and only installs itself when you start your new computer, doing resets in the middle of the installation process is pretty damned silly. Anyone who does that on purpose just to test things is not being very clever. If you do hardware resets in the middle of a Linux or MacOS install as well I can almost guarantee you'll do real damage to that install and have to start over.

I didn't mean install process Rolling Eyes I wrote about regular start of fully installed Windows OS. What I wanted to say is fact that previous Windows OS weren't so fragile like Windows 10.

Sure hard reset is not nice, nobody should do it. But it's possible to lose power during a storm or just bad luck or little kids...you never know. However, you should not loose whole OS in this case. Classical scenario with Windows 10 is message that Windows going to repair...and after 30-60minutes you have another message--- Windows cannot be repaired.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not this again, smh...

windows 7 user complaining about firewall in win10 while 7 is like swiss cheese.
windows 10 telemetry problem...Lazy people wouldn't even use google to search for app to disable it, but not lazy when it comes to win 7 upkeep. And of course, they complain about constant updates, because they never actually got one for win 7 since 2005. They even pay for AV and crap like that bcs fuck free and not useless win 10 defender and firewall.

Oh the irony...

I like(ed) win 7, but it's takes a lot more time to manage than win10 that you setup once and you are dooneeee
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, the lack of decent firewall for Windows 10 is a major problem.
Anyone found a decent replacement for Agnitum Outpost Pro?
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

win 10 doesn't have a very strict firewall, but at least it does something, unlike the one in win7 which is useless. In win 7, you need a 3rd party app for almost everything. That's how "perfect" it is.

Personally, in win 10 I use default firewall settings, windows defender and that's it. I use free malware bytes scanner once now and then to check the system for malware just in case, and it has been clean...since forever...
Hell, I even disabled online sample submissions and all that additional stuff, no need...Good luck with using default win 7 firewall and security suite...I mean, it is possible but it takes a lot of time to set up bunch of things manually, and firewall is incurable, you just have to get some 3rd party app to control it, like Look'n'stop , I couldn't have lived without that app.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win7 firewall sucks, aye.
Agnitum Outpost is the best choice for Windows 7, aye.
Sophos did buy some Agnitum IP, but they provide free software appliances (which requires dedicated hardware) and sell hardware firewalls.

I am wondering if there is an equal for Agnitum Outpost on Windows 10 out there already. A standalone software solution that runs locally. Intuitive, easy to use, high performance and stops all the crap out there.

I searched around a while, but I have not found any conclusive evidence that there is a worthy firewall out there.
These seem to be popular according to unreliable review sites:
- GlassWire
- ZoneAlarm
- TinyWall (not a real firewall, rather, a Win10 firewall configurator, but has not been updated since 2016).

Then, I found Private Winten, which is a privacy tool + a Win10 firewall configurator in one. (this one is actively developed but it early stages at the moment)

Have any of you tried/used any of these?

The lack of a firewall is a showstopper for Win10 around here, we'd like to be in control, not Microsoft and the US government.

Thanks!
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find some firewall control app some time back but it was a mess, too restrictive and what not. So I gave up. Default controls are good enough for me, and I disabled all hidden win telemetry (I am not linking the app again!) and crap I didn't want and that's it for me.

but you do have this if you really want more control
https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I missed that from the list.
Have you tried BiniSoft WFC?
It is also a Windows firewall configurator.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I linked it in the previous post...it's malwarebytes now, got bought...

edit: but seriously, If you use a decent adblocker in browser, you really have no need for min-maxing the firewall, just set the win10 default one to "public" and you are good to go. Then again, I don't use darkweb or stuff like that.

PS. I am NOT trying to tell you how to use your own computer, I just find that being too paranoid (I was there...) is really not accomplishing much, you just waste a lot of time for nothing.

Other than that, I agree that first win 10 release or prerelease was a disaster GUI wise. No start menu, no this no that...That got fixed but permissions on files and folders are still a disaster and lack of features that used to exist in explorer is also crap. As Heretic said: extra clicks are now required compared to win7/8.1 and so on. Metro is a big miss imho, at least for users that know what they are doing.
But I am really not having any security issues. Imho, it's better than win7 was. I don't use 3rd party apps anymore, which cost a lot of money...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: