Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Piracy-check mandatory for Windows add-ons [19351]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Piracy-check mandatory for Windows add-ons [19351] Reply with quote

Starting today,

Microsoft will require that users validate copies of Windows XP through its Windows Genuine Advantage program to gain access to OS add-ons -  presumably including the upcoming Internet Explorer 7. The only exception is for security-related patches, however, "The Microsoft Upda

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
tub0rg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that means ull probably will have to download your add ons via emule and bittorent too Smile

also a good opertunity to completly switch to linux and bring down ms once and for all Twisted Evil
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah..there are unix executables for Enemy Territory/True Combat Elite, and u can allmost allways run OpenGL based games under Wine i guess.. What else do u really need? Kylix perhaps..but thats annother topic Smile
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting themselves in the foot? I fail to see that Heretic. It's called making sure other millions aren't pirating their software. Can't blame em, they are the most ripped off company around. Games are one thing to pirate, OS's are a whole different class. Ms gives away a lot of free software too, if ur into that, so I don't feel threatened or pissed off in any way that they do that. Power to em, if they can nail some cheap whore pirating their OS, power to em!

As for Linux, it's an OK Operating System. Is it much more secure than Windows, NO. Absolutely not. Just because you don't see the big media lights when Unix/Linux has problems doesn't mean it's that much better. Fact is hardly anyone uses Linux today so you'll have to go to techie sites unless the exploit is really huge. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would use Linux. There is NO software for it and it doesn't even come close to Windows in software. Only ones I could see use linux are the ones that really don't use their OS at all, or applications for that matter.

Emule, bittorrent? LOL! Sure if you want trojans and stuff. And hey, you can be a victim of a new Trojan too! Ya, go use those! lmao. There are easier methods than crawl-ware p2p.

EDIT: Just as hilarious is the ones who swear Linux is so good, then you hear them using a Windows emulator.. uh huh...
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL how can owning the genuine article (WinXP) be called 'shooting yourself in the foot'???
I think you've got it mixed up Heretic, it's the PIRATES who've shot themselves in the foot! Call it peeved off or whatever you want but your sounding like one seriously pissed off bunny for possibly owning a fake copy? Cool

Hell i've had quite a few freebies because i've owned legite software.
Need for Speed was upgraded free to NFS:SE when i sent in the original.
Flying Corps was ugraded to FC Gold again as above and i've had numerous rebates for owning versions of MSFS.

18-25year olds pirate 85% of software that's the truth.
jippo
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: I OWN A GEN COPY TOO Reply with quote

its just the begining to a load of crap comming our way..
the other day 1 stick of my ram gave up the ghost so i had to take it out,,
XP(pro btw) literally screamed at me to immediatly go and re-activate my copy..
same crap when i say.'have formatted a couple of times ' and it tells me i have to get a new serial cos this 1 has been used too many times.. as if !
tub0rg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms is shooting them selfes in the foot by trying to control something they cant. i dont have any problem to pay money for good software... but i have a problem paying for buggy instabil software that has tons of featers i dont want and i partly cant disable, i dont want auto updates, i dont want eula's wich allow ms to install stuff on my pc, i dont want desktop theme shit, i dont want html decoder code in my explorer exe, i dont want ms checking my files for piracy even if there was nothing to find, anyone read the book 1984?, i even dont want ms to check my files for a virus/trojan, if am lazy enough to catch me one i can invest the 20 minutes to get rid of it too, i certanly dont want paladium/tcpa shit in my pc no matter what it could do good for me, what it could do bad for me outweights that by far. i want my os to be slick and fast but i have to use windows because of the ms monopoly. if there was an independent gfx interface !instead! of directx i would change the os instantly because i could run games and 3ds max, maya.
and people tend to get angry if they dont have a choice, or get the feeling that they couldnt do anything about it.
in my opinion and that dosent only count for windows but for the xbox360 as well is that they are developed for the american marked, and even though i hate to judge a country and its people as a whole, there is a lot of diffrences both educational and cultural between the us, europe and asia. as soon as you talk to someone here about tcpa or ms autoupdating there is nearly instant concern about what could be done wrong with that power, we had unified goverment controlled media over here once that didnt went too well.....
oh yeah btw way nearly all people in china use red flag linux ( yeah red flag funny name huh ) and i know a lot of people who use linux for their papers work, surfing etc... and reboot to win if they have to use it.
and if u got trojan problems with emule your doing something wrong and what the heck do you mean by crawl-ware? that its slow?
LLA
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I await Bill Gates' stupid comment like a man..
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I OWN A GEN COPY TOO Reply with quote

jippo wrote:
same crap when i say.'have formatted a couple of times ' and it tells me i have to get a new serial cos this 1 has been used too many times.. as if !

Erm now your talking crap!
You can format as many times as you want because the same hardware is unchanged and the IDE generated number for XP is therefore *unchanged*
It's when you make changes to hardware like HD,CPU,RAM,MOBO that XP will use up it's limited activations and require you to reactivate it.

It's funny how i have gone from 512 RAM to 2 complete new sticks up to 1 gig,installed 2 HD and a Radeon 9800.Inc a format and i've never had to reactivate it once!
jippo
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus..old post i know !
lol i just noticed this reply, you dont even know me, to declare iam talking crap,
You tell that to the irish lady i spoke to when i had to phone up and get a new activation serial,
all i can say is your lucky ,plus you spend too much time saying what you have had from where and whatever,
and what you declare is bollox matey , its happened to me more than once , sometimes i have had to reformat more then twice in a day for one reason or another, and it deems itself been used too many times and asks you to phone in , with a huge number u have to dial in , plus besides who gives a flying fart if u believe me or not anyway
The Outlaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dont find wats wrong with this. Its a very small check, takes only a few seconds. And HX why do you think that MS is imagining that you are a thief, its a measure to stop piracy. Tell me one other way MS can try and stop piracy.

I find no issues with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: