Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Doom 3 [16575]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Doom 3 [16575] Reply with quote

I've just finished playing through Doom 3, one of the most highly anticipated PC games in the past several years. Sure, I could have ripped through it faster, but I think I enjoyed it a lot more this way. I had fun playing the game from start to ...read a full review

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny how this game gets a 91% and yet Farcry pulls off a 95%! Seriously, what the hell was hx thinking when he reviewed Farcry? Overrated just like every other fatcat gaming site out there.

I've lost my faith in trusting reviews on this website.
CaptStar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all 1-post moron, hx makes really good reviews. He practically runs this website by himself. I find this website better than gamespot and gamespy because hx gets his news fast.
And find me one thing about Doom 3 that sucks.
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone is keen on registering to add a comment (this site used to not require such B.S.), but when I see crap like this flying around, I have to say something. I won't disagree with the review on Doom3, but Farcry? Come on! The game is sloppy, full of bugs (they even recalled the 1.2 patch, wtf?) the gameplay tiresome, and the multiplayer is horrible. I guess this is the type of review quality to expect when you blow through games on minimal difficulty, but I smell bullshit and I'm calling it.
Samadama
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered mine........14.95 dollars, but I do have to agree Far Cry is CRAP. Very Happy .... good thing I only paid 14.95 Wink . I think if I hear what xxxx is saying and other people than I probably wont like this game I mean I already don't like the fact that a lot of people are saying that the game is too dark. Shocked ... what is this I mean what happened to all of the lights...... or atleast he should be able to hold the light in one hand and the gun with the other.......... some body should come up with a mod or something..... WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FALIURE TO SEE....(it doesn't quite sound right....oh well Very Happy )
Samadama
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen "FrenZon" Murphy already created a Doom 3 mod called "Duct Tape" (download) which sticks flashlights to your machinegun and shotgun....... Embarassed .....DOOOOOOOOPE.........sorrrrry.. Laughing ... Laughing

That's what i call SUPERSERVICE.
FX5900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far Cry is sloppy, but it's not that bad. You probably have a crap system and that's why you're bitching about it.
WilderWein
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ppl., the thing with the flashlight keeps the game interessting. Sure, it is more EASY to play with falsh-allways-on, but somehow it kills atmosphere too. There´s nothing more chilling than seen an opponent, switching to shotgun .. only to see nothing but the red light of a fireball hurling at you or firing blindly at the dark space between your health and the claws of a zombie. Smile

BTW., for all those knowing Doom2 pretty good, there are not only the same weapons and monsters (mostly) like in the good ol´ times, there a quiete some scenes which were portated to Doom3. Besides beeing close to shock every time something whisels or taps around, my jaw dropped seeing some locations beeing totaly the same as in doom2 - even the hidden places. They even keep the hurting short jump-distance. Oh, and there is one thing hx doesn´t mentioned: The berserk-mode. From time to time events or a injection transfers the player in it - using the chainsaw or the fists then is a real desaster for all hell out there. Very Happy

As for the FC vs. D3 thing - FC is an outdoor game and as such it´s the best out there. D3 is an indoor game and as such it´s the best out there too. Wink
sirsmithy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 hours!!! Mad thats a rip off i wont buy it then

i dont understand why its so short. A good game should be at least 50-100hrs what iam i paying for???

I will play it sometime when my 6800nvda comes in, Very Happy till then ill go find a friend thats finised it
i just hope half life 2 is longer Sad

shame, i waited so long to play something so short Mad
gordho
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50-100 hours? your a crack smoker. yes, it would be great if a single player fps did have this much gameplay but you only see that type of game time in an rpg.
lucas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirsmithy wrote:
20 hours!!! Mad thats a rip off i wont buy it then

i dont understand why its so short. A good game should be at least 50-100hrs what iam i paying for???

I will play it sometime when my 6800nvda comes in, Very Happy till then ill go find a friend thats finised it
i just hope half life 2 is longer Sad

shame, i waited so long to play something so short Mad

<sarcasm>yeah, because more is ALWAYS better </sarcasm>

I'd rather 20 hours of GOOD game play than 50-100 of boring repetitive shit, a.k.a. halo. I'm sure it would be a great game if they hadn't decided it needed to be longer and "cut and paste" the levels to make them longer
sirsmithy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: gordho Reply with quote

gordho:

i know thats why i normally only play rpg's
morrowind, scared, nwn etc..it just feels like you get your moneys worth

half life 1 took me about 40hrs the first time and then you had day of defeat etc wow talk about your unlimited play time...

i dont like to work for a day then pay for a game that i finish off in one saturday. at least they could add some puzzles or something to use your head in the game in stead of your figure only!

there are a few good fps that take a while eg: painkiller ,
that one i enjoyed
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent enough review but I can't believe HX gives credit to AI in Farcry. You must be a really bad FPS player HX, that's the only thing I can see. I chalked up the bad AI in Doom3 to the fact most are walking dead or creatures and not human, thus the dumb AI. The soldiers are not bad when it comes to AI, yet pretty easy to kill none the less. To take away marks for AI when you are fighting undead, seems pretty stupid to me.

I agree with a lot of HX, points but in terms of graphics, I swear that you people are god damn blind. Maybe I should write a mod for UT that totally blocks out everything with darkness so I can hide crap textures, paint shadows on things to give em a darker look etc, or throw bitmap images of grates on the floor or how about fake wall pipes that are really painted on the wall. I mean, even in HX ultra shots you can still see these cheap ass textures on the wall(and i thought it was just me, lmao). AND SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE BUMP MAPPING IS.

My score for this game is 8.0. It's a really good game, lots might say great graphics and that's true(to a degree) but remember you need a honker machine to run Ultra mode and it's a 20 hour game at best, or at least for HX :p

Some things for you to consider that "I" saw (5/6 hours playing).
-cheap textured walls, painted on pipes, buttons etc, yes at high quality too(eg. window looking outside, actually a bitmap)
-shottie can pretty much take any creature in 1 or 2 shots, why bother with rest of guns?
-the game is total darkness requiring you to constantly toggle flashlight and gun, so why not flashlight mounted on gun?(maybe later, who knows, part of the difficulty factor I guess). Darkness makes up for the bad AI.
-mp browser ingame sucks major butt. filters don't work.
-repetition graphics when you kill people, lets see, brain pops out or skeleton or digital breakdown.. those are generally the 3 ways they die
-creatures spawn from nowhere, oh oh stumpus wont like that, too much like Painkiller.
-"some" things are interactive, laptops can move others perma stuck to desk

There are some nifty Dx9 features in this game that add nice effects but if anyone says this game is a trend setting game in quality, you don't know shit about gaming. This is a average game that will be overhyped, overblown. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's just not as good as people will make it out to be. Scary? maybe for some, not me. I personally don't think anything is more scary than Lucas or Maga's typing skills or sense of humor. Haha, nah, System Shock when that came out was scary. The latest Alien FPS was scary.. Doom3 is scary, but not as scary as my mentioned titles were.

Turn on UT2K4 graphics setting to High or above. Look at the walls and general textures. If you can't see that kick Doom3's ass then I give up. I'm not gonna trash Carmack because from what I have heard he's only had verbal input on this game not necessarily much in terms of coding and they obviously cut stuff out of game to save money likely fearing possible poor sales because how anyone today could release a game and gloat of the requirements to run his game when he has cheap bitmap wall textures is beyond me.

Something for others doing games. If you are gonna do a game, don't leave out the side graphics. See in doom3 you see his hands come up with the PDA? that's a very very nice tiny thing to add in a game. When you open doors and push panels, you should see your hand. when I first saw the PDA I thought, omg, he did these animations, COOOL. then I realized it's the only one they did... pfff. The game that will always remain in my brain that did this great was Duke Nukem..(at least it did it more)

anyhow, this is a decent game and worth the money, but is no way a 9 or more /10. This is a 8/10(in reality) and you can count on reviewer bias. Oh and MP is also surprisingly smooth, though some people I know have had crashing issues and stuff. I've been on 8 and 12 man servers and they were pretty good.

That's all I care to say on this game. I'll finish it and likely shelve it.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilderWein wrote:
As for the FC vs. D3 thing - FC is an outdoor game and as such it4s the best out there.

HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ya and BF:Vietnam sucks, SOF2 sucks, BF:1942 sucks oh and Vietcong, oh wait, no UT2k4 sucks too.. Yes, Farcry is amazing..Definitely the best outdoor game. Ya and you got ZERO gaming skills, ZERO gaming knowledge.. go back to your Lame Cry, over rated hunk of junk. @ 5900, ya no actually, FC just sucks. People bitching about it are bitching, because it sucks. Take a look at that hurting server count for FC and then come back with a better statement. Maybe you and Stumpus should make a clan for FC.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me bump mapping in this game, especially for wall textures etc. It's so advanced, Carmack says, that I don't see it.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ XXXX. You **AINT** goint to get any decent bump mapping unless you own an nVidia GT6800 or ATI X800 XT PE. The game needs 512mb cards for ultimate performance and a TRUE DX9 card as minimum for any detail.

Of course the same can be said with Far Cry, you need around a 9800 pro performance to see the beauty in that game also. If i remember the last time XXXX you weren't *near* that sort of graphics card. You can't go through life blaming everything else when you aint got the tools!

I honestly still can't believe you *continualy* drag up Far Cry as your battle song......HX is entitled to his opinion on what game **HE** likes, i certainly wouldn't go jumping down a moderators neck because he liked a game i didn't!!! Neither would i do it with anyone else, apart from you! because you get on EVERYONES back on this forum IF they don't like what you like! Grow up man eh and do some research before blowing your trumpet regarding WHY you can't see bump mapping LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: