Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews - Ubuntu 7.04 - Time to Switch? [23598]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: TechNews - Ubuntu 7.04 - Time to Switch? [23598] Reply with quote

Super Talent T1000UX2G4 2GB PC2-8000 Memory Kit - The kit performs great at its advertised speed of 1000MHz and fairly relaxed (5-5-5-15) timings.
ViewSonic VX2245wm Black 22inch Widescreen LCD Monitor W/ViewDock -
This monitor games very well with not even a whiff of ghosting noted throughout my

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one thing i miss in Ubuntu - Mouseware. My aim has gone to hell in ET. I need to get that sorted out. Unusable buttons on my MX500 and the lack of pointer speed fine tunning.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouseware? You can do that without mouseware actually. Mouseware, isn't that a little dated? It's called Setpoint now unless you got an old as hell mouse. Quake engine games can take command line options to remove mouse acceleration... Rolling Eyes

As to the Ubuntu review. I fart in it's general direction. Sure, I can't blame him for not going to Vista(zero sense in that). but Linux is hardly a replacement or feasible alternative to Windows. Doesn't it always come down to the same thing? No applications, no games but maybe a small handful.. Whats the point? Or ya, let's use linux and then run a Windows clone environment to run games... So what do you do after your games? Hmm, cruise net and play with OS command line? wohoa.. exciting. I found it funny too he says 'now I can make a partial switch' and in the same breath 'I'm not installing Vista'... Ok, then... Rolling Eyes
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop spamming us with this unbuntu shit.. you get what you pay for sure.. i'd rather buy winxp and never have a problem running software, then some linux variant with serious lack of decent software/utilities/games etc and an ugly interface, poor support, and stupid command lines to remember... think a legit copy of xp is better than that
gordho
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Ubuntu you can easily get your email, surf the web, work on docs, play some light games (solitaire), and IM. If you have generally light computing habits then Ubutnu is an easy replacement for Windows or OS X. Now, if you get in to heavy gaming or need to run some propitiatory apps, then yes, I would say just stick with the what you know instead of having to muck about with wine and cedega. Oh, and as far as having an ugly interface....I beg to differ. All you need to do is add the e17 repo and install the necessary packages, all of this done by entering 3 lines in the console. Check these screenshots:

http://elivecd.org/gb/Main/Screenshots/
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very well what Ubuntu looks like and I've used it and many other derivatives/flavors of it both professionally and recreationally. For a gamer, Ubuntu is worthless. It's not at all sweet as you like to try and make it(you sound like a Linux fanboy). Ubuntu Linux etc, all suffer one major problem. Support. That includes HW and software support. They require 99% of the time manual configuration. Sure maybe if you are a real light casual user and you have a choice to get a system go ahead and try it but I'm pretty confident 9/10 of those people will be installing Windows shortly after. A GUI doesn't define an OS, it's what's under it and in it and how easy it is to use. Linux has always been a techies OS, not a common users OS.

Things I know about Ubuntu and most Linux flavours
- latest hardware never supported. It's basically good luck finding a driver or dream of the future when someone cares enough to release one. sure some things work, just not with everything you expect.
- Examples you will run across are Xfi for instance, TV Tuners or mice or how about a multi-purpose scanner, printer photocopier
- Custom lan setups, private network configurations and even Internet provider setups, done through command line most every time.
- Poor auto-update and security holes with long duration fixes requiring advanced firewall configuration like ipchains (unless u use a router which adds to the confusion). There is no easy configure software firewall, it's thru command line
- Document incompatibility, software incompatibilities...

Is this all worth going to Linux? I don't bother sorry. Linux just has too long a road to even come within spitting distance of Windows. If I was a casual user I'd use something that really is truly effortless to get what I want done. Just my opinion don't cry over it.
netfool
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has it's place, and I think that place will grow over time. For people like my mother, who only uses her computer for surfing the net and emailing me every once in awhile, I think it would work fine for a person like her. Which, I would guess a decent percentage of the population just use their computers for.
In fact, the next time I build her a new computer I'll probably install Ubuntu on it.

Personally, the *only* reason I stick with Windows is gaming. I think Ubuntu has enough good applications, and is easy enough for me that I could make the switch without looking back. My 2 cents.
gordho
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<XXXX Mode> Pffffffffffffffft. </XXXX Mode> Right tool for the job, which was my original message. You would understand this if you had a basic level of reading comprehension. Instead of going directly in to confrontation mode maybe you should try grasping the words people are posting, digesting them, take a few deep breaths and then spew forward your hate. Maybe, just maybe, your post will be a little more thought out. Don't get me wrong, I think many of your posts are hilarious and very entertaining but reading too much pulp and not enough literature will make for a lazy brain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: